Alameda buddy?

Hook up with other kiters, share rides, or find a kite mentor & speed your progression.
Forum rules
Use "Group Notice" when posting/responding to notify interested kiters!
joejk2
Joey
Joey
Alameda buddy?

Post by joejk2 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:59 am

I'm a novice kiter and looking for a buddy to call the girlfriend if I don't come back. I've taken a couple of lessons and am able to go upwind intermittently. I intend to spend time at Alameda over the next couple of weeks. If there's anybody else out there who's in roughly the same boat (or same board) let me me know.

Joe

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Re: Alameda buddy?

Post by windhorny » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:49 am

So, let me get it straight, you are single and thinking if you get hooked on kiting at alameda you want to find someone you can call your girlfriend that kites?

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:35 am

Does your girlfriend kite? Why not just take her with you so she can keep an eye on you so you do come back. That new hunky buddy of yours might just steal her away from you.

baypirate
Regular
Regular

Post by baypirate » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:58 am

Come on, guys, give the poor guy (and his g-friend) a break!

Joe, I'm sure the ladies at the shed in Alameda wouldn't mind if you check yourself in w/ them when you head out on the water and check out once back. Alternatively, not sure what Evan's hours at his new Live2Kite location there will be, but that's another option (hell, they'll love the store traffic!).

Oh, and maybe I just pulled the shortest straw, but my experience with non-kiting GF/wife enjoying your... enjoying kiting is not encouraging. Somehow this particular stoke doesn't easily become marital property.

hawaiimind
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hawaiimind » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:29 am

Joe, always a good idea to check in with others if kiting alone and still a novice. All you have to do is read through this site to see the million things that can go wrong. If the girls at the shack are busy, walk downwind 200 yards (there is an outhouse there) and that spot has a good crew of people (Max's place, or as Max calls it "Kooks Beach"). Say hi, meet some of the boys, and over time you will gain some great kiteboard buds. I started there 2 years ago and the guys that I met then are my best buds now. And of course you have to meet Max, the man, the mayor of the beach.

As for checking in with your gfriend if things go wrong, a couple of things: as you go out, tell people where your kite bag is, and in it leave a big piece of cardboard/plastic with your girlfriend's phone number on it. You can also bring electronics with you; a phone, 2-way radio, marine radio, anything that will allow you to call for help, and all the above can fit into one of the waterproof pouches they sell at REI, stuff it under your rashguard. Probably a little overkill for Alameda, as long as you don't go 2 miles out you will always drift back to shore, but that's your call. What's key here is that (1) you have a method/plan to call/get help if needed (2) If you are unconscious/hurt, others need to contact your family/friends for you. My network of friends have all shared each others' emergency numbers, stored on our phones. If you don't have that network yet, paste your info all over your gear and introduce yourself to others before you hit the water.

Next time you are at Alameda, just ask around for Max, Zia, Rey, Adam, Andreas, Karina, or me Mark, one of us is sure to be there on any windy day, happy to help.
Mark Neveu, riding at 3rd, Sherman or Alameda on Naish gear

joejk2
Joey
Joey

Post by joejk2 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:31 pm

Many thanks for the advice BayPirate and HawiiMind. And thanks to those on the Alameda last weekend who helped me launch and land.