Big kite recommendation

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
D
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Big kite recommendation

Post by D » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:28 pm

Hi All, I'm new here and have just finished beginner lessons in Alameda. I'm looking to buy my first kite soon for light wind. How big should I go, considering that I weigh 155 lbs? I'm looking for light wind performance and easy relaunching. Thanks!

consumer
Regular
Regular

Post by consumer » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:06 pm

you should get one of those kites that have a wider arc than normal , and get in the 17 range,

so like 17.5 contra,
17 machine?
16 bfk
uh windwing rage II 16 or 18?

i would say anything in the 16-18 range assuming youre not on an excessively small board.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:51 pm

The Rage II comes in 6,8,10, 12, 14, 17 so the 17 would be the light wind version, and they all relaunch super-easy. In addition to the ones above, another to consider is the Rapture 15, which is a very efficient kite with huge range, but new and different from all the others. Best to read more about it at WindExpress.com to see if it interests you.

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:51 pm

The 16.5 Contra by Cabrhina is sick!
Moves my 215 lb butt in liggghhtttt air....

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:57 pm

Bob wrote:The 16.5 Contra by Cabrhina is sick!
Damn Bob, if your butt is 215 lbs., what's the rest of you weigh!? :shock:

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:12 am

I have the Windwing RageII 17 and flew it last saturday in Alameda. I really like the way it handles gusts. I'm a newbie and had to relaunch the kite twice. Each time was a breeze. One time I was able to stand up and relaunch, the other I just attached the leash to my board so it could trailer behind and swam hard towards the kite.

-john

D
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by D » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:56 am

Thanks, my friend has offered to sell me his 16, so I'll definitely check it out. When looking at a used kite, what should I check for besides the obvious (tears and abrasions etc.)? How do you check for a slow air leak?

consumer
Regular
Regular

Post by consumer » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:05 pm

D wrote:Thanks, my friend has offered to sell me his 16, so I'll definitely check it out. When looking at a used kite, what should I check for besides the obvious (tears and abrasions etc.)? How do you check for a slow air leak?
pump it up really hard, not super hard but hard enough so that it doesnt give too much when you squeeze the tube, then let it sit out for a long time, if when you come back, and at the exact same point you squeezed earlier, has slackened up a bit, youve got a leak.

Don't stress it though, if you pump it up hard, and you cant tell after a couple hours if it has a leak, it probably doesnt, if it has a leak youll notice it go really soft within an hour.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:18 pm

D wrote:Thanks, my friend has offered to sell me his 16, so I'll definitely check it out. When looking at a used kite, what should I check for besides the obvious (tears and abrasions etc.)? How do you check for a slow air leak?
Check the fabric to try and determine how worn and exposed it is. Check to see if it's still crispy to some extent and if there's any "shine" left to it. Also check the texture; if it feels excessively soft and tissue-like it may be somewhat worn.

Ollie

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:20 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:
Bob wrote:The 16.5 Contra by Cabrhina is sick!
Damn Bob, if your butt is 215 lbs., what's the rest of you weigh!? :shock:
Sorry, bad humor... :vom: