To Leash or not to Leash?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:04 am

South of LaVentana in San Felipe?!

ROTFLMAO!
:rolleyes:

Check your bearings mate.
Go bigga'

sie4
Joey
Joey

Post by sie4 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:55 pm

Anonymous wrote:Getting a smack from a leash is EASILY replicated in places without waves,

all you need is one gust to send you flying, you trip, board comes off, and gets pulled back as you skip across, once you stop, the board is still moving and it slams into you. You dont need a wave, you just need some power in your kite.
I completely agree with everyone on not using the leash. I made the mistake of starting out with it, and it's definitely an annoying and dangerous habit to break. Body dragging upwind is not difficult, and will only help you once you're ready for the board.

One thing I haven't seen anybody mention yet is that leashes can be useful in some situations. In particular, if I've crashed my kite and am trying to relaunch it (especially in light winds), I'll clip in the leash while getting the kite in position to relaunch, and then unclip when I'm ready to go again. Same thing applies if you need to self rescue, clip in to the board while you're winding the lines / swimming in.

Jaon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaon » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:37 pm

las time i checked, san felipe was south of la ventana.

I took everyone's advice and went leashless, althouth today one would have been nice.

Trying to relaunch a downed 17m kite in light wind + holding onto board= not fun.

Jaon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaon » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:39 pm

ok, I stand corrected on the la ventana thing. But for the record, there's also a town north of san felipe called la ventana.

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:24 am

Thanks for the input, I've already removed it from my board and will be returning it.

A lost board is better than another hole in the head.
Did you pick up flotation too?

Jaon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaon » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:40 pm

I did go with the cabrinha impact chest harness, which does add some floatation.

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:40 pm

listen to these people, they know what they are talking about. I'm a complete newb and I won't wear a leash if it meant to loose my board. One of my friends almost got his weener cut off by one of those retractable leashes the first day he bought it. The board went underwater right near the shore, the wind suddenly picked he went forward, the leash extended and smacked him right below the special area leaving a 10 inch by 8 inch bruise on his leg. It was the biggest freaking bruise I've ever seen.

Jaon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaon » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:04 pm

ouch!