board size

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Live2KITE
Regular
Regular

Post by Live2KITE » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:07 pm

mishka wrote:Haha! You all are cute! I am 5'3" 115 lbs.

Thanks to all of you for your help. Very very very good info!

Mishka
Mishka,
We get your question frequently from kite girls such as "Hanna" (BTW she is also a pro in knitting ;-) ) when she bought her small FLX 122, as well as others. At your weight you should end up with

the RRD Triplex 125x36
Click here for more info

____
or the Underground FLX 122.
Click for more info here

____
or the Caution Redline II 122
Click for more info here

Starting with any of the above boards might be a little adventurous but they will all 3 work perfectly for you.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions on any of the above.

Evan - Live2KITE
(415) 722-7884

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:41 pm

Anonymous wrote:haha i see why they call him Loud Mouth Greg, i've run into him a couple times before, hes a very cool guy and awesome kiteboarder.

I didn't know that he made those boards, i thought he just put his name on them, they look pretty sick, what are they made of, carbon composites? Strong and light but i hear they lack flexing characteristics, ofcourse im probably wrong nd its some other sandwitch.
Greg's designs are pretty refined at this point. He has stuck with a great combo of rocker and concave he has come up with that is consistent with all the boards he's making currently. The boards are very strong and light and can be any combination of Kevlar only, Carbon bottom and Carbon/Kevlar top, Carbon/Kevlar bottom and Carbon top. All the boards have a Divinycell core. They do have flex and are not overly stiff, or overly flexy, right in the middle really. There is some variation of flex depending on the fabric lay-up used.

Other than the strength, performance and light weight, the nice thing is that you can go to him and describe your riding style, what you like in a board or what you're looking for in a board and you end up with something unlike anything you'd find off the shelf. Like a wide stance like I do? No problem, it's made to order. Flatwater & freestyle, bay riding, waves, pick your flavor. I have two and wouldn't want to go back to riding production boards, not that they're bad, but it's just that these are really good!

mishka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mishka » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:10 pm

This thing ate my reply!

THanks again all of you guys! YOu are right, I don't want to ride "lit", or get "worked" or "hammered out there". hehe, All terms I have heard a lot in the past. I am going to try to take a lesson soon, to see what I remember.
I think the board I had before was 147. It was a borrowed Slingshot Drake.
I suppose it was a little big.

Anyhoo, hope to see you guys on the water soon. :)

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:13 am

Hana, I was hoping to see that weight in print....

Mishka:
Don't stress to hard about board size. If you end up playing the game for real you will also start to collect boards along with kites. My sweetheart has three boards... A huge Manta which is an old style floaty board by Slingshot that was great for learning on because it was easy to stand on and get planning...after that learning it did not suit for higher winds so a smaller board that edges well became necessary. Having two boards also extends the range of a kite. (Small board at top range of kite large floatiy board when the wind becomes light.)

The key for you is to get out on the water on anything! There are some nice used boards out there that you can start paying your dues on and once yoiu have gotten wet a bunch of times you will know for sure what you need. But I think Ollie nailed it for beginner board number one ! 130+ cm.

Hope you are standing on it soon! With upwind edging following shortly!

mishka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mishka » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:50 pm

Me too Bob! When I used to go, I could go upwind a little but I edge
too hard and would sit down a lot. But it was better than skipping like
a stone being dragged downwind, hehe. K, I will aim for a bit smaller
board than what I had, but I'm not buying until I take a couple lessons
again. :)