Trainer tips.

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
SPAMAN13
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SPAMAN13 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:34 am

nope. it was borwn'ish. It was a fun experience. I learned to my kite up alright... im planning to head back out there next during my break.

RobsterCraw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RobsterCraw » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:05 am

Just wanted to add another question to the thread

Where do you normally use a trainer kite/what would be a good place?

I assume using them at the shore is easier said than done no body wants some douche with a trainer buzzing around at a launch. I just bought a trainer and need some advise on where to fly it

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:34 am

RobsterCraw wrote:Just wanted to add another question to the thread

Where do you normally use a trainer kite/what would be a good place?

I assume using them at the shore is easier said than done no body wants some douche with a trainer buzzing around at a launch. I just bought a trainer and need some advise on where to fly it
You can use them anywhere upwind or downwind of the launches, not a problem.

RobsterCraw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RobsterCraw » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:09 pm

Has anyone tried to use one away from the shore (inland)?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:05 pm

RobsterCraw wrote:Has anyone tried to use one away from the shore (inland)?
You can use one anywhere there is wind. No worries. Unless you're talking about a 4m + trainer which might generate a bit of power which could cause a problem if handled poorly when it's rather windy.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:26 pm

Ocean beach is a good place for trainers. A lot of space and wind. The wind can be very strong in this season, over 15MPH a 3 meter can be a handful for a beginner. You can fly inland, but the wind inland is usually pretty bad, your kite will fall from the sky a lot, and then relaunch violently. Inland there are also more obstacles and hard surface that does not tolerate your mistakes like beach sand.

RobsterCraw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RobsterCraw » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:30 pm

I recently ordered the Best Trainer Kite. So its supposed to be a 2.8m. Lots of wind is fine though. While I am a beginner I am quite competent with the sport already. I was able to get up on the board by the end of my first and only 3 hour lesson. I am safe in practice and can definitely handle the kite. I just want to practice enough with the trainer kite so I don't focus on the kite while I'm actually out on the water. One of the things I noticed when I was last out was that I barely ever was able to focus on where I was going or what kind of chop I was about to hit so I kept losing it. My bindings broke on my board and I had to skate the board it (which was actually kind of fun, just like wake skating). Ocean beach sounds like a good bet.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:52 pm

RobsterCraw wrote:I recently ordered the Best Trainer Kite. So its supposed to be a 2.8m. Lots of wind is fine though. While I am a beginner I am quite competent with the sport already. I was able to get up on the board by the end of my first and only 3 hour lesson. I am safe in practice and can definitely handle the kite. I just want to practice enough with the trainer kite so I don't focus on the kite while I'm actually out on the water. One of the things I noticed when I was last out was that I barely ever was able to focus on where I was going or what kind of chop I was about to hit so I kept losing it. My bindings broke on my board and I had to skate the board it (which was actually kind of fun, just like wake skating). Ocean beach sounds like a good bet.
When I ordered by board (kitemare.com), the guy thought that it might be 2.8 based on the size compared to an airrush 3m. I had it next to a kite that was supposedly 3m, and it was way smaller, so not sure. I measured and it did seem like it was almost 3m so maybe the guy I met didn't know his kite size!

Does it still ship with the "1.8" bag?

Is it coming with a leash now? A week ago I lost the kite for the first time, luckily was able to chase it down. I emailed tech support but never got a response on wether there was supposed to be a leash or not.

Cheers,
Josh

kite-o-matik
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kite-o-matik » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:05 pm

RC,
Closer to home, there's plenty of space at the mud flats of 3rd ave. Just keep away from the north launch and the bike trails and no one will bother you.

kite-o-matik
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kite-o-matik » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:14 pm

Josh wrote:Does it still ship with the "1.8" bag?

Is it coming with a leash now?
I recently got one myself -- yeah, it's close to 3m^2, still (erroneously) ships in the "1.8" bag, and does come with a leash. I'm not sure I can recommend them, though ... mine came apart today, and it wasn't even that windy. I'll see what kitemare.com/Best have to say.

RC: good trainer flying area to left of golf course: 3rd ave from high up