Pipedragon or anyone who can help.

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!

Moderators: BayAreaKite, WindMuch

Pipedragon or anyone who can help.

Postby consumer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:11 pm

I saw your post on kiteforum about the Thorn vs Sol, i am also in a similar situation where im looking for a board in the 135x40 range,
the TT sol looks like it perfectly fits that, but the Thorn 132x39 is suggested for those who want great pop.

anyway is there a local store around here where they have both of these boards in stock so ican compare them? Preferably where i can also compare North Jaime Pro L?

choosing the right board is kind of a pain in the ass when you cant ride all the different styles.


i've narrowed it down to:
1. North Jaime Pro L(05) 128x40
2. Naish TT Sol 135x39.5
3. Naish Thorn 132x?
4. Fanatic Joyride 138x40.

pretty much looking for a very flat board with not too much rocker, very little rocker, planes up pretty damn early, and the rails have to be thin, while the tips have to be fat, i NEED fat tips. The only board with fat tips i have seen so far is the Jaime Pro L, and i havent seen the naish's to compare.
consumer
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:38 pm
Location: berkeley

Postby OliverG » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:50 pm

Consumer,

I've heard good things about the new Liquid Force Element, it has soft rails, fat tips and is somewhat wide with a lot of pop. They have them at Kite Wind Surf now in Alameda. I'm unbiased as I ride custom LMG boards anyway, but here's the hype on it:

"The Element boards utilize Liquid Forceís exclusive Supercore. The Divinycell foam that Liquid Force uses has the highest strength to weight ratio of any other foam, and wonít take on water like some cheaper foams or balsa cores. Our foam has been tested for years to ensure that it maintains its responsiveness and strength for the life of your board. Unique single to double concave bottom with channels exiting out of the scalloped tail. Moehau Gooldís board of choice, these boards are great all-around boards performing well in waves, sliders, flat water, or chop.

Available in sizes 128cm x 41cm and 134cm x 42cm"
User avatar
OliverG
Site Admin
Site Admin
SFBA Member
SFBA Member
 
Posts: 5322
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:03 pm
Location: Oakland, CA

Postby consumer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:04 pm

i have an element 128, and i hate it.

it's too soft of rails, too heavy, the board is like a big clunking very typical liquidforce board. It has EXTREME amounts of rocker, i wonder why they even call it a kiteboard, its like a wakeboard. Mainly i don't like it because the board EATS _SO_ much power. Even the 120x42 hanacrew, which is the same width as the liquidforce board, planes up wayyyyyyyyyyyy earlier and because it doesnt kill as much power i find it easier to get the pop i need. i think the element 128 kills too much power for me to be fun.

I'm leaning more toward the TT sol 135.
consumer
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:38 pm
Location: berkeley

Postby KillaHz » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:09 pm

consumer wrote:i have an element 128, and i hate it.

it's too soft of rails, too heavy, the board is like a big clunking very typical liquidforce board. It has EXTREME amounts of rocker, i wonder why they even call it a kiteboard, its like a wakeboard. Mainly i don't like it because the board EATS _SO_ much power. Even the 120x42 hanacrew, which is the same width as the liquidforce board, planes up wayyyyyyyyyyyy earlier and because it doesnt kill as much power i find it easier to get the pop i need. i think the element 128 kills too much power for me to be fun.

I'm leaning more toward the TT sol 135.


Dude, what are you doing with your Nemi 2? Can I have it?
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...
User avatar
KillaHz
Resident
Resident
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:56 pm
Location: San Francisco

Postby KillaHz » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:19 pm

KillaHz wrote:
consumer wrote:i have an element 128, and i hate it.

it's too soft of rails, too heavy, the board is like a big clunking very typical liquidforce board. It has EXTREME amounts of rocker, i wonder why they even call it a kiteboard, its like a wakeboard. Mainly i don't like it because the board EATS _SO_ much power. Even the 120x42 hanacrew, which is the same width as the liquidforce board, planes up wayyyyyyyyyyyy earlier and because it doesnt kill as much power i find it easier to get the pop i need. i think the element 128 kills too much power for me to be fun.

I'm leaning more toward the TT sol 135.


Dude, what are you doing with your Nemi 2? Can I have it?


Seriously though, you have too many boards which I think means you have not had much of a chance to demo boards before buying. There are resources at hand in the Bay area for demos. I am pretty sure Jeff at KWS has a few boards to demo, ASD in the Penn and Live2Kite who allways has boards to demo.

I think between them, you should be able to demo all the boards you are interested in.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...
User avatar
KillaHz
Resident
Resident
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:56 pm
Location: San Francisco

Postby OliverG » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:41 pm

consumer wrote:i have an element 128, and i hate it.

it's too soft of rails, too heavy, the board is like a big clunking very typical liquidforce board. It has EXTREME amounts of rocker, i wonder why they even call it a kiteboard, its like a wakeboard. Mainly i don't like it because the board EATS _SO_ much power. Even the 120x42 hanacrew, which is the same width as the liquidforce board, planes up wayyyyyyyyyyyy earlier and because it doesnt kill as much power i find it easier to get the pop i need. i think the element 128 kills too much power for me to be fun.

I'm leaning more toward the TT sol 135.


Wow, that's weird. In Costa Rica one of the KWS crew was going on about it and how liked it quite a bit. Just goes to show one man's "love it" is another man's "hate it", which goes to show that demo'ing the boards is the only way to go.
User avatar
OliverG
Site Admin
Site Admin
SFBA Member
SFBA Member
 
Posts: 5322
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:03 pm
Location: Oakland, CA

Postby consumer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:16 pm

KillaHz wrote:
Seriously though, you have too many boards which I think means you have not had much of a chance to demo boards before buying. There are resources at hand in the Bay area for demos. I am pretty sure Jeff at KWS has a few boards to demo, ASD in the Penn and Live2Kite who allways has boards to demo.

I think between them, you should be able to demo all the boards you are interested in.


Youre right man it kind of sucks because i have to blindly choose my boards, the only board thats stayed with me is my 140 firebird. I love that thing. Im definitely going to demo this time, but I wonder what bay area companies actually carry the newest Naish boards, ASD only it seems.

The Nemi 2 actually isnt mine, its my uncles, he lets me use it since in socal he realized a size 120 board is almost useless for someone over 80kg. i thought the element would be it as far as boards go, way wrong, not my style. Now im stuck with it unless i can find someone to unload it on who likes that type of thing.

I hate having too much gear its a pain in the ass, i want to have at maximum a light wind skimboard or something, and then a real board to have fun on.
consumer
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:38 pm
Location: berkeley


Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests