Wetsuit recommendation for Bay Area kiteboarding

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
David (guest)
Wetsuit recommendation for Bay Area kiteboarding

Post by David (guest) » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:36 pm

[font=Arial] [/font]
I just took my first kiteboarding lesson in Maui (yippee!). That warm water and weather was great, and the mouthfuls of Hawaii water are probably somewhat sweeter than our beloved bay. Now that I'm home, though, I suppose I'll have to work on the home surf. So, what kinds of wetsuits are folks wearing to kiteboard here? I imagine I'd go to 3rd Ave, as that's the closest site to my home. 4/3? 5/4? Are you guys wearing booties and hoods? Gloves?
I must say I had a heck of a time getting my feet into the straps of that kiteboard with my booties, and eventually bailed to bare feet to actually get it. I am sure I won't have that luxury here at home. So, what are you folks wearing?

Thanks.

David

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:24 pm

3rd aves one of the warmer spots of the bay, you can probably get away with a thin 3/2 or such, but the booties isnt for warmth, the shells at the launch can cut feet up, even so i dont wear booties, i just let my feet get cut every once and a while, its not THAT bad, but booties helps if youre squeemish.

I don't mean to get technical, but technically speaking, hawaiian waters are warmer, less nutrient rich, and hence saltier. The water's actually much much saltier over there. The bay is relatively brackish with all the freshwater rivers flowing into it, but not as brackish as you'd think, its still very close to the ocean in terms of salinity, depending on where you are ofcourse, but the waters still helluva lot sweeter than hawaiian waters.

Oh and if you want to hit the coast, make SURE you have some warm stuff, i was )(((F))))orking FREEEEZING today in my normal 4/3, i would even be freezing if i had a 5/4, im always cold, unless its 90+ out im god damn cold.

100+ and im in heaven.

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:25 pm

Anonymous wrote:The bay is relatively brackish with all the freshwater rivers flowing into it
Rivers of fresh water? How long ago was that? :)
I am still having a hard time getting used to the idea that wear something going to the sea.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:57 am

well there are SMALL estuaries to the north that flow into it, im not sure about the south,
the relative geography of the bay means that a lot of "FRESH" haha water runoff from the hills(highly polluted highly highly) also runs into the bay to give us a nice slightly dilute saline mixture.

MMMMM

makes me want to buy a huge nalgene so i can fill it wil 3rd avve's water and drink my thirst away.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:48 am

Okay, so I've read 3/2 from a guy who wears a 4/3 but wished he had a 5/4 on the coast. :wink: :) I guess I'm still confused. Anyone else care to chime in?

cheers,

David

PS: I don't mean in any way to insult the guy who posted. I hear ya loud and clear. I'm freezing most of the time, too. Just tryingi to keep it light.

With respect to the sweetness of the water, I was more questioning the content of the local effluent than the salinity. But I'm enjoying the discussion!

feixaq
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by feixaq » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:05 am

4/3 + booties (to keep from getting my feet cut) for me at Crissy, 3rd Ave, Alameda; rashguard & boardshorts at Sherman Island.

Love the cold

wetsuit

Post by Love the cold » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:30 am

Let's cut through all the bull shit:
Delta/Sherman - 4/3 in spring/early morning sessions. 3/2 early summer. Shortie mid summer

3rd Ave - 3/2 min, once you spend more time riding them in the water. I still wear my 4/3 while riding there: if things go wrong, you can be in the water for a long time.

Cirssy - 4/3 always.

Berk/Alamenda/Pt. Emery, the East bay: 4/3 in spring/fall. 3/2 in summer.

Coast - later in your kite career. 4.3 min, hoodie recommended.

Booties - I hate booties, as they make life in straps a pain in the ass. It's a personal preference thing in my opinion.

Good winds + waves, Zeev.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: wetsuit

Post by OliverG » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:42 pm

Love the cold wrote:Let's cut through all the bull shit:
Delta/Sherman - 4/3 in spring/early morning sessions. 3/2 early summer. Shortie mid summer

3rd Ave - 3/2 min, once you spend more time riding them in the water. I still wear my 4/3 while riding there: if things go wrong, you can be in the water for a long time.

Cirssy - 4/3 always.

Berk/Alamenda/Pt. Emery, the East bay: 4/3 in spring/fall. 3/2 in summer.

Coast - later in your kite career. 4.3 min, hoodie recommended.

Booties - I hate booties, as they make life in straps a pain in the ass. It's a personal preference thing in my opinion.

Good winds + waves, Zeev.
And there you go! I would add that for Berk/Alameda/Pt. Emery, the East bay, later summer and fall a shortie is pleasant.

Ollie

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:08 pm

just to verify, for the coast, a 4/3 is alright?

i want to kite santa cruz.. i'm not worried about being comfortable... just staying alive...

consumer
Regular
Regular

Post by consumer » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:32 pm

listen to Zeev hes got it down in a damn nutshell. Though at sherman in mid to late summer i have ridden manyh times just barebacking it.

For the coast a 4/3 in the spring its a little skimp especially if you get cold, hoodie is recommended in the spring, summer you may get away with a 4/3. This is MY opinion ofcourse, i've seen people in the spring ride in 4/3's no problem. You might want to invest in one of those titanium liners that increase by 1mm.