Spotted Lost Yellow Board floating at 3rd Ave, Feb 9th

Reunite gear with owners here.
baypirate
Regular
Regular
Spotted Lost Yellow Board floating at 3rd Ave, Feb 9th

Post by baypirate » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:26 pm

Yesterday mid-afternoon I spotted a big yellow board floating halfway to the channel from the upper launch. I tried to bring it ashore but it turns out that water start with two boards in 5-30 winds is a little different than what I learned when taking my lessons just this past August... After spending a little time bobbing in the chilled and stirred February drink, I tried to flag it to a another kiter (think was attached to a yellow Best kite). I assumed he tried to grab it but not sure what came out of it.

Terribly sorry couldn't do more this time... I should have thought to practice such rescue on a less choppy day. For what's worth, I had the extra kite leash I carry on my belt (in a self-rescue, learned the hard way that it helps not to have to worry about the board). I considering using the leash to tow the found board to mine, but was bit wary. Better to learn to power stroke with one hand, even in winter winds. Hope somebody grabbed it though.

ledhead1191
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Spotted Lost Yellow Board floating at 3rd Ave, Feb 9th

Post by ledhead1191 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:16 pm

I grabbed a red slingshot sx with a yellow bottom and brought it in yesterday. Maybe that was it...

michael
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by michael » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:49 pm

It was me with yellow Best kite, and yes I brought the board back to the guy.

Attaching another board to a leash and then try to continue riding - this was a terrible idea. I can't believe I actually attempted to do such a stupid thing... ](*,) After the first power stroke the kite went crazy unable to drag the board, and the leash got torn off. It could've ended much worse.

If you want to use a leash - attach both boards and body drag to the shore, but never try to ride one board while dragging another on a leash.

I saw people riding with a board in their hand with no problem, but still don't know how they do it. I assume you can't do it with a waterstart and have to grab it while passing by, on the fly. I tried twice to grab it while passing by, but both times after I grabbed it I lost the speed, and couldn't regain it as I tried to do a power stroke with one hand. I think once you grab the board, the only way to gain the speed is to continue riding downwind.

Anyway, I just grabbed the board and was dragging myself to the shore where the guy was waiting.

Any tips from those who have saved boards before would be greatly appreciated.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:09 pm

um, yeah, rescuing boards is harder than it looks...usually, I just sit down next to it, grab it by the handle and then water start with one hand...usually involves looping the kite on the waterstart.

another way is to put the board on top of your forearms and ride carrying it like that with both hands on the bar.

if the board is much larger than yours, switch boards, carry yours and ride the bigger one (works for directionals)

the best and final way is the classic "butt-sled" method. ride up to the board, and with your feet still attached to your board, sit down on top of the new board. then water start, and ride along sitting with your butt on the new board, still edging using your feet board. this is by far the most creative and fun solution I've seen.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

michael
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by michael » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:53 pm

Adam - thanks a lot for the tips!

I actually didn't know it is possible to grab the board and THEN do a waterstart with one hand... But this is something I might want to practice now.

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:57 pm

Another method i use a lot is i slow down in the water next to the board and pick it up and place it upside down on top ff my lines and bar so that the board handle is in my hand as i am holding the bar normally. then i can kite back normally holding on with both hands.
Otherwise if their board is floating handle up and i have enough power i do a quick flyby and pick up the board with my free hand and ride one handed. That usually works except when you grab the board and it "sticks" to the water surface as you pass by which often results in me falling face first into the water. LOL

Onehanded waterstarts are possible but often tricky.
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:55 pm

The best one is picking up some ones board and then dropping it on your toes..
No good deed goes unpunished! :angry-screaming:
L.M.G.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:25 pm

Depending on who it is i like to grab the board and take it even further from them upwind. Kidding.

Another way though that I use to hold the footstraps with my thumbs while holding the bar. This allows total bar movement but is a little fatiguing for the long haul. Thats a great idea though to ride the bigger board in, I have to say i never thought that one out.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:44 pm

Cool to se that so many have different methods of dealing with this. What works best for me is to first try to do a ride-by and grab the board off the water. I'll usually give this two tries and if that doesn't work I'll cruise up to the board, sink in the water next to it and put in basically on my lap. My legs are bent when water starting and sending the kite anyway (which is best done with two hands) and as soon as I'm off and getting up it's easy to then grab the board with one hand. Then you ride one handed and when tacking, swap hands and hold the board w/the other hand.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:59 pm

when do you drop it on your toe?