Recommendations

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
mdougher
Recommendations

Post by mdougher » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:42 pm

I am a beginner kiteboarder but have spent some extensive time with a trainer. I plan on buying some equipment. I am going to be kiteboarding a lot in Alameda this season and was wondering what the wind speeds are like there? I am 215 pounds and have good upper body strength. I am thinking of a Naish Boxer 12, with a Naish Haze board. Should I go with a bigger kite? A few people have told me tto go with a 14 or 16 but I do not want to get into trouble right away. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

MIKE

Getting into trouble

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:29 pm

I don't think getting into trouble is the issue. A too-small kite for the wind won't help you there, unless you consider sitting on the beach "staying out of trouble". If you're planning on kiting at Alameda this summer, you're going to need a bigger kite. The 12 won't even lift you out of the water.

Paul

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:49 pm

Yep, this summer you'll be using a 16++. Talk to pipe. He's a big guy too. He'll tell you what you'll be using at Alameda.
Dewey

Jaon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaon » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:14 pm

hey Mike,

I'm a 205lb newbie too. I spent some time last week talking to Jeff at kite wind surf. Looks like I'll be getting a 17M Cabrihna Element. It was KWS's best selling kite last year and he's got a boat load of them in stock. He's also bundling it in a beginner package.

The recommendation he gave was confirmed by the forum members too.

Jason