board size

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
mishka
Contributor
Contributor
board size

Post by mishka » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:06 pm

If you are a small girl but a beginner, do you want a tiny board?
I used to ride a Slingshot Drake, but don't have it anymore.
I don't remember what size it is, and I haven't kited in a couple
years, so I am *really* a beginner now.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:19 pm

weight?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:20 pm

You should know better than to ask a girl her weight! :wink:

Mishka,

I'd say that any modern design board of about 130cm in length would be good, although for all-around use you'd probanly want to stay away from a "tray" style board board which is typically pretty wide with fairly wide tips as well. They're good for wake-style and flat water oriented riding, but genereally not good all-around boards. I've heard good things about the new Lightwave boards, maybe the 125cm would be ideal?

Can anyone else comment on this?

Cheers,
Ollie
Last edited by OliverG on Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:47 am

Hi Mishka,

I don't consider myself being too small but maybe smaller than a guy. So here is what I've experienced. I started out with 147cm length (about 38cm width) to learn which was fine, but many other kiters suggested, "it's too big for you." and I didn't really get that meaning until I switched to my small board, which is Underground FLX122. (Length 122cm, I think width is 36cm) It took me for a while to get used to my small board, as the difference is fairly significant. During my girls kite camp, my instructors told me that 130cm would be good too. I used Jimmy's custom 132cm and it was really good to kite with 6.5m kite. That time I've never even flown 6.5m kite ever in my life. Some other girls had 128cm length, 35cm width F-One SK8. She said it's friendly for girls as the width is relatively slim and it's easy to edge for girls. (Smaller cute foot?) Naish also made Rose 122cm, width 35.5cm for girls too. At one point, I thought 122cm maybe too small for me, and I kind of regret that maybe FLX132 might have been better, but I'm pretty happy with my small board, although I would have problems learning on a small board. I'm also interested in LMG's board sometime in the future.

mishka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mishka » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:12 pm

Haha! You all are cute! I am 5'3" 115 lbs.

Thanks to all of you for your help. Very very very good info!

Mishka

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:37 pm

at 115 lbs i think edging is going to be an issue if you lack leg strength as well. I suggest getting a board that is light(obviously), thin rails, some moderate rocker and concave, and very flexy. I would put my money on any board in the 125x35 range, However, because you probably dont want to ride lit, and youre going to ride exclusively really small nongrunty kites you might want to step it up and get something in the 130x36 range.

as far as bigger boardds helping you out, well i dont know if you were able to plane up before, i think you'll remember how to plane up again, its like riding a bicycle.

by the way, why do they call him "LMG?"

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:01 pm

Lucky Mambo Grace or something like that..

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:03 pm

Anonymous wrote:
by the way, why do they call him "LMG?"
L.M.G. stands for Loud Mouth Greg and he's had the nickname for some time now. It's fairly well-deserved, but maybe you'll get the chance to find out for yourself sometime at the beach. He's not too bad though, he's OK and makes sick boards too....

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:22 pm

haha i see why they call him Loud Mouth Greg, i've run into him a couple times before, hes a very cool guy and awesome kiteboarder.

I didn't know that he made those boards, i thought he just put his name on them, they look pretty sick, what are they made of, carbon composites? Strong and light but i hear they lack flexing characteristics, ofcourse im probably wrong nd its some other sandwitch.

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:33 pm

dude thay flexs just fine !
lim gee makes the best boards!
total control
charlie