Kite recommendations???

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Jaon
Contributor
Contributor
Kite recommendations???

Post by Jaon » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:09 pm

Looks like I'll be buying my first kite next week! I am still not sure what size kite I should buy. I'm 6'2", 207lbs.

I'm taking lessons with Kitewindsurf so I'll probably get one of their Cabrihna Element beginnger kite packages (which comes in a 14 & 17).

Since I'll be riding in Alameda most of the time, what size kite would be best to start with?

----

I will be heading down to BAJA next month on vacation. My understanding is that May winds in San Felipe are generally in the 5 - 10 mph range. Is there any chance that my ideal kite for Alameda / bay area would also work in those light winds?

Or is it even possible to ride & stay upwind in winds < 10 mph? I really want to spend as much time kiting as possible when I'm in San Felipe. I've read about low wind kites like the Contra & Best's BFK that they say can fly in winds as low as 4mph. I know the Contra's hi aspect, so the BFK would probably be my choice. With Best's new price reductions, buying 2 kites is real possibility.

My initial thoughts are to go with the Element 14 & the BFK21. I think that might give me the best useable range.

My only concern is that if I get a low wind kite, how useable is it here in the bay?

Thanks for your help, drinks will be on me...

Jason

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:31 pm

You'll find you'll be using a lite wind kite at Alameda alot. Don't be fooled by claims of kite companies. The only thing that will get you upwind in sub-8 knot winds is a boat. At 200+ lbs. you should talk to pipedragon about his lite wind expectations. He flys a 25m kite at Alameda.
Dewey

Jaon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaon » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:23 pm

thanks for the reality check. Spent some time with Jeff today at KWS, looks like I'll probably be starting with the Element 17.

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:34 pm

I'm 215 and use my 16.5 Contra by Cabrhina with a LFT board down to 9 mph breeze and get by nicely. This is what I call my Alameda enabler assembly. THe Contra replaced my 20 m Naish Aero very effectively!

Artie gets by with two kites and two boards a 12 and 18.

The Element 17 is also a good way to go.

zeev

lessons

Post by zeev » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:30 am

Most shops give good basic lessons. Since you've surfed for while, you know about waves, swells, reefs, etc.

You will be learning:
1. How to fly kite with lots of power
2. How to edge a board
3. How to combine those two forces to control power
4. How to jump

Once you are intermediate: can stay upwind, jump well in both directions, make good solid turn transitions, you will be ready to try heading into surf. Go to a mellow spot like Stinson where the waves don't have too much punch. Go when the weather is medium = 10/12m wind, not 8/6m wind. Riding waves w/a kite is an epic expreience, and very different then pure surfing. You have more power to address.

As you progress, I'll be happy to give you more input and share my expereince.

Enjoy the ride, Zeev.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:09 am

kirktalon wrote:Hello...has anyone here ridden any of the bestkiteboarding products???Is it really a case of hype, is the stuff really bad in comparison to other companies???Why so much cheaper???
The Yargas and Nemesis kites fly well, but aren't as full featured as other 2005 kites. I wouldn't rave about them, but I wouldn't put them down either as I flew both designs last year and had plenty of fun. No doubt there's plenty of hype surrounding the company and everyone has an opinion one way or the other. I fly Windwing now and for not a whole lot more money, you get premium kites that are built better and have great safety features. But again, I'm biased and it's my opinion. Take a little time and do your homework and research.

Good luck,
Ollie

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:58 am

Kirk,

No problem. Be safe and enjoy the sport!

Ollie