East Australia?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
jaxonholer
Contributor
Contributor
East Australia?

Post by jaxonholer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:40 pm

Anybody ever kited the East Coast of Australia? I've been getting some decent results with some handy google searches, but if anybody has anybody has any real life experiences for spots from Sydney to Brisbane, flat water to waves, for early January 2009 travel, that would be most appreciated!

Can anybody recommend places to stay on the coast near the wind? pretty budget minded travelers, down to camp or cheap place to stay near the coast. Can't wait to go, have you been? Anything helps. Thanks!

TomAUSTRIA
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: East Australia?

Post by TomAUSTRIA » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:46 pm

I'm here on the east coast since early September. Flew into Brisbane, then kited in the Byron Bay and Lennox Heads area, afterwards traveled up the coast by car (I'm currently in Cairns).
I kited the following spots:

Byron Bay und Lennox Heads: Kinda like Waddell, but I prefer Waddell.
Ayr (Alva Beach): Awesome.
Mackay: Awesome.
Noosa: Best spot ever
Caloundra: This is as good as it gets.
Cairns: Perfect.
Whitehaven Beach: Just visited, but haven't kited. You need a boat to get there from Airlie Beach.

You can lookup all of the afore mentioned spots on kitebeaches.com - if you have any further questions, just ask.

I will be in Sydney from Dec 31st until Jan 5th, then fly up to Brisbane and travel to a few kitespots by car (Noosa, Caloundra etc.) for 2-3 weeks.

It's supposed to be pretty windy on January in the Sunshine Coast area (at least I read this on seabreeze.com.au forum), don't know how it is further south...

How are you traveling? By car? Regarding cheap accommodation, you can just stay at hostels which are roughly about AUD $15 to $25 per night.

Thomas