What do you do with your car keys?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin
What do you do with your car keys?

Post by jjm » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:22 pm

Any tips on storing car keys? I'm going to make myself spares (anyone else had problems getting a foreign key dup'd?) I'm thinking about lashing up a line to the hook knife pocket tab and keeping it in there? Does that sound secure?

Is having a hide-a-key as a backup (i.e. not placing it somewhere in the parking lot) a good idea, or is that too risky?

Thanks,
Josh

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:42 pm

leave the car unlocked and hide them in your car.
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:01 pm

Josh,

You can either stash in on or around the car somewhere, wear it around your neck on a line tucked into your wetsuit, or some of the harnesses have a good hook-knife pocket, but it is important to lash it to your harness with a line as I've lost a key when using the velcro-tabbed pocket alone. Luckily I was only at Alameda and Ingrid was able to come down with a spare. Good thing I wasn't at Waddell!

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:12 pm

dewey wrote:leave the car unlocked and hide them in your car.
Is Alameda cool like that? I had my car stolen from a crowded mall parking lot near xmas, so am a little paranoid about that kind of stuff. In the great scheme of things, I could care less about the car, but would be pissed if I had a kite in there or something.

I was pretty pissed when I found out that automobile insurance will not cover anything not permantly installed in the car. :(

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:26 pm

I lock my keys inside my car and wear a single car key around my neck on a short loop of Q-line that barely slides over my neck. I have never had a problem.

Alameda is a safe place but it is still the city and I am not that trusting as leave my car unlocked with valuables. I did have a bagged 17 meter Slinghot Fuel taken off the beach last year.

jrg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jrg » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:48 pm

I use a key lock box I bought from Home Depot for about $20.
Just bolted it to the back of my van - works great.
-J.R.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:14 pm

the lockbox sounds good too. I'm pretty trusting. If someone wants in my car it's just as easy to break a window. I always leave the sunroof open
Dewey

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:21 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:Josh,

You can either stash in on or around the car somewhere, wear it around your neck on a line tucked into your wetsuit, or some of the harnesses have a good hook-knife pocket, but it is important to lash it to your harness with a line as I've lost a key when using the velcro-tabbed pocket alone. Luckily I was only at Alameda and Ingrid was able to come down with a spare. Good thing I wasn't at Waddell!
Definitly use a key that will not get lost. Even hide a spare as well. I was kiting in Hawaii on Oahu all the way out at Mokuleia which is about an hour from honolulu where I rented the car. I put the car key in my back pocket and it fell out. I had to have a cab drive the key out to me and it was not cheap. Ruined a great kite day as well. Guard your key like you kites.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:05 pm

Especially in Hawaii. Large number of thieves waiting for surfers and kite surfers to go out!!! It's a thief's paridise
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:18 pm

dewey wrote:Especially in Hawaii. Large number of thieves waiting for surfers and kite surfers to go out!!! It's a thief's paridise
Yes, that can be a problem. On our trips to Kauai and Maui, we've parked at countless places to go hiking, to beaches or snorkeling and seen piles of broken car glass most everywhere. This has always been at what I would consider pretty remote areas. So we just never left anything in the car and always left it unlocked. At a more populated place, you probably don't have to worry, just keep everything out of sight.

At Ka'a Point, Maui, it's all good, no worries there, it's nothing but kiters and local folks chilling and fishing, but I'm sure some other areas would require keeping a minimum amount of gear in the car.

Also, don't get a Jeep, a car with a trunk is always better.