getting on the board

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
bageler
Joey
Joey
getting on the board

Post by bageler » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:57 am

So like the thread topic says, I'm an old hand at kiting and just want to get on a board! I've been flying stunt kites for about 20 years (since I could hold the handles on my dad's kite) and have progressed to 4 line and power kites as technology progressed. For the past few years I've been jumping on land...but I'm sick of having to walk my kite back upwind every few jumps. So I can fly my kite blindfolded and with one hand tied behind my back, but I'd like some pointers on the boarding. Is there anyone around here that can help me out? All the "proper" places that give lessons emphasize on kite control, which isn't an issue for me. Anyone have any tips for me, or can point me to someone that will give me the instruction I need without making me waste money on re-learning the basics of kite flying?

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:48 am

Getting up on the board is a matter of balancing the power stroke of the kite to your weight and the conditions. Added to that is the amount you are edging your board and the downwind angle of the board.

Simply stated if you feel like you are not getting up and out of the water send the kite harder and edge the board less. If you feel like you are about to be slung forward over the tip of your board edge harder and stop the motion of the kite.

It helps to be square and balanced in the water and as you send the kite stomp on your rear heelside foot. Then just standup lean back and relax (sort of) :)

zigx
Joey
Joey

Post by zigx » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:15 pm

nice post bob. thanks.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:45 pm

Bob's explained it very well and simply. Well done!

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:05 pm

When I started wake boarding I would keep the board under me pointing slightly in the direction i wanted to go and plane out, then rotate the board. Then it became a more fluid pop out of the water (could be the switch from a seadoo to a boat too!)

Can anyone compare the technique to getting up on a kiteboard? Is it similar, but on a different axis, or completely different?

- Josh

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:32 pm

Josh, pretty much the same thing, you'll find that your wake experience will transfer over well, getting you up on the board and planing easily. Then you just need to control that kite!

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:38 pm

Right on, I guess I will know for sure next Wednesday.

WARNING: After April 7th, keep an eye out for a hideous orange naish, if you see it stay clear :twisted:

bhsu24
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bhsu24 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:08 pm

Bob wrote:Getting up on the board is a matter of balancing the power stroke of the kite to your weight and the conditions. Added to that is the amount you are edging your board and the downwind angle of the board.

Simply stated if you feel like you are not getting up and out of the water send the kite harder and edge the board less. If you feel like you are about to be slung forward over the tip of your board edge harder and stop the motion of the kite.

It helps to be square and balanced in the water and as you send the kite stomp on your rear heelside foot. Then just standup lean back and relax (sort of) :)
Im a 190# with a 15m kite and a 142 board is this board too small for and average day at alameda or do i need to wait untill the wind is blowing hard for it to get me up on this size board?