Brazil / Cumbuco in November

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
earthquake
Contributor
Contributor
Brazil / Cumbuco in November

Post by earthquake » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:38 am

I'm thinking about a trip to Cumbuco from November 13 - November 22.
Any tips and tricks welcome, e. g. what's the best flight to take (Miami/Manaus/Fortaleza) or (Miami/Sao Paulo/Fortaleza), accomodations, best places to kite etc. I know, there's quite some information out there, however I thought I'd reach out to you guys, too
Also, anybody else interested to go or happen to be there at the same time?

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Re: Brazil / Cumbuco in November

Post by super_monkey » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:43 pm

Hit up Martin, his handle on here is Czech, he moved to Brazil recently and has been to those places. You should consider going Jan 1st to Jan 10th because a lot of us are going to be in that area around that time :)

clints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by clints » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:15 pm

I was there around thanksgiving 2 years ago. I did the mia-sao-for and for-man-mai but I used my miles. It doesn't really matter, just get the cheapest flight you can get. Combuco is about an hour from For, so you need to arrange someone to pick you up, possibly from your hotel. I stayed at this hotel :http://www.villacumbuco.com/SunsetBeachHotelCumbuco.htm
for $50/night and it's right on the beach, nice place and you can kite right in front of the hotel. The owner, Jack is one cool dutch dude. Its not close to the center of town but still a walkable distance.

You might want to check out the next town, paracuru as it's less crowded and the wind is alot stronger >20knts and the water is flatter.

If I go back I would stay in Paracuru.

now, bunch of us from 3rd Ave are heading to south padre island, tx this nov. 7-16. It's a lot cheaper than brazil and a lot less crowded with flat, waist deep water on the bay side and surf on the gulf side.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:07 pm

i'll be in jeri from Nov 1 - 16...

shoot me a PM if you have any questions, i can give you the full low down on combuco and jeri...

i went to combuco and jeri (and all the places in between) last year right around this time too...
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

G-man
Contributor
Contributor

Post by G-man » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:23 pm

I'm going to be down in South America from 11/14-12/1. The first week I'm hanging with friends in Argentina, but the second week I'm now traveling solo (my Ex-girlfriend didn't make the cut--thank god for refundable tickets!) and was planning on spending the week kiteboarding (more fun anyway :) ). Is Brasil the best place to go? And, if the answer is yes, where in Brasil?

I understand "best" is subjective, but here's what I'm looking for. I'm pretty new to kiteboarding (I've done my lessons and been out a couple times on my own at Alameda), so I'm looking for somewhere:
1. beginner-friendly that has a good school/instructor (I don't know if I'll do lessons everyday--I really need to get in some practice, but it would be good to have the option)
2. is also a good place to go solo (both from a safety and a social perspetive).

The only knocks I've heard on Brasil is that some place are crowded (especially Combuco) and that there are some places where theft is a big problem.

Any thoughts from anyone out there? Which of Jeri, Combuco, or Paracuro (or another place) would be best for my sitch?. Is there somewhere else in South America I should be checking out--Argentina, Uruguay, Peru, other?

Thanks!
Last edited by G-man on Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-man
Contributor
Contributor

Post by G-man » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:26 pm

earthquake, let me know if you decide to stay longer than 11/22. I'll be kiting from 11/23-12/1.

shmed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shmed » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:15 pm

I visited Brazil last August and it's an amazing place to kite.

-For flight, I'd just take the cheapest routing you can find-- every routing takes time and it's pretty expensive right now, even compared to other Latam countries.
-For beginner friendly-- I think probably Cumbuco. Plenty of schools there and the wind is consistent but not nuclear like in Jeri/Prea (10-12M for me vs. 6-9M in Prea). When people talk about Cumbuco being crowded, they are usually talking about the Caiupe lagoon, which is not very big. However, there's plenty of room on the coast, where you can launch and ride right outside your hotel room.
-About theft: I found the coastal areas to be very safe and the people very friendly and honest. If you stay in Cumbuco, you can stay in affordable hotels right on the beach (I stayed at Eco Paradise and Sunset Beach hotel, both of which are good) as alluded to earlier, so you can pump and go and leave all your stuff in your hotel room.
-Socially - there is nightlife in Cumbuco and it's relatively close to Forteleza, which is something like the 4th biggest city in Brazil.

-I loved Jeri/Prea and think the Vila Prea is the absolutely amazing place to stay. The wind is very strong so I wouldn't recommend for beginners (although there are good schools-- in particular Marco at Skyriders in Prea is great). But a worthwhile to visit if you are up for it. Jeri nightlife is fantastic, better than Cumbuco imho.

Czech
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Czech » Thu May 21, 2009 9:38 pm

Guys, I have been traveling to Brazil for 6 years and I just spent the last 8 months there setting this up www.maximrio.com check it out and if you end up in Rio, I will make sure you have the time of your life.......
-Martin

funmilton
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by funmilton » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:30 am

I will be thee Nov. 20th - Dec. 5th.

Take the direct flight from Atlanta to Fortaleza, I got a smoking deal for $690 from SFO all the way to Fortaleza, it was cheaper to start in SFO that Atlanta, crazy. Got the ticket on Kayak and only saw it that cheap for one day about a month ago. It is only 11 hours travel as the Miami options are not as good.

Planning on 10 days in Jeri and the rest of the time exploring the coast, doing downwinders and special lagoons.

I have heard of several people going at or around this time.

Went to Columbia last year at this time and found Cartagena to be incredible.

I plan on posting my plans in Brazil when complete.
funmilton

funmilton
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by funmilton » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:39 pm

Bad new. Fortaleza flight cancelled. Going to be a 24 hr trip thru Sao Paolo. Just got email from TAM :(
funmilton