Kitesurfing centers info

Information about San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding locations and guidelines.
michirider78
Joey
Joey
Kitesurfing centers info

Post by michirider78 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:14 pm

Hi!
I'm an italian kiter girl. I'm sorry for my english, but the next month I'll come to San Francisco due to work for several months, so I'd like to know some information about San francisco kitesurfing spots.

I'd like to know if there are and where are kitesurfing centers in the Bay area, and which are kitesurfing intermediate level spots.

Moreover, are the spots reachable by public transports?

Thanks
Mic

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Re: Kitesurfing centers info

Post by reyrivera » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:41 pm

It is end of the season here, so you must be ready to drop everything if the winds blow.

It will probably be tough using public transportation, unless you use a taxi service, will get very expensive.

Kiteable days during Fall and Winter season is before and after a storm, expect all your gear and clothes to get wet. If you don't have a car, find a buddy to take you along the kite spots.

You need at least a 4/3 mm or 5/3 mm wetsuit, maybe booties, gloves, and head cover.

Best bet is 3rd Avenue, and Alameda for winter sessions. talk to the regulars there, and please don't kite alone.

How comfortable are you with waves? If yes, then Waddell should be ok, but that spot gets wicked during winter, you must be very good to kite there in the winter season, inaccessible to public transportation. So, this spot is not recommended unless you are advanced.

Read this forum on a regular basis during winter, if it blows, it will be posted here.

Check out these threads:

https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/vie ... f=1&t=6348

https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/vie ... f=1&t=6362

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:32 pm

At this time of year start preparing for ski.

starboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by starboard » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:51 am

Bring your gear, there are some great places to kite on the coast in the Fall. Ocean Beach, Waddell Creek, Secret Spot, Gazos, Scott's Creek Bodega Bay, Dillion Beach, and the list goes on. 6M to 12M condtions, 4.3 wetsuit, and surfboard or twin tip will be fine. And bring some Italian wine.

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:03 am

"Best bet is 3rd Avenue, and Alameda for winter sessions. talk to the regulars there, and please don't kite alone."

not a good idea to ride 3rd avenue in winter storm winds.

michirider78
Joey
Joey

Post by michirider78 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:33 pm

Thanks to all!
I'm still doubtful to bring my gaer...I've to bring clothes for 6 months, so if I'll bring my gear and there will be no wind... :evil:

I'm usually to kite before and after storm and I've a very good wetsuit (I also kited with 0°C in Rimini...it was snowing!), and I've no great problems with weaves, despite I use only the twin tip.

Despite this, I know that if I'll don't have kiter friends it'll be difficult to kite so...I'll bring the wine!

Without jokes, are there any kiter that works at UCSF? Particularly, at Donna Albertson's Lab?

kitedancer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitedancer » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:25 pm

bring your gear!
F-One BANDIT 5M 7M 9M
Naish Alana TT