Tomales Bay

Information about San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding locations and guidelines.
Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Tomales Bay

Post by Tunces » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:39 pm

In the Summer the wind seems to funnel straight down the bay in Tomales. Any local knowledge?
Tunces - The driving cat!

wimboweb
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Tomales Bay

Post by wimboweb » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:56 pm

Best time to sail Tomales is spring.

During the summer/fall is not "usually" a good spot.

Look for northwesterlies...

G-man
Contributor
Contributor

Post by G-man » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:22 pm

Looks like it's blowing almost 20 (and climbing) right now (at only 1pm).

707kiteguy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 707kiteguy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:54 am

Hey, spring is best, but summer afternoons were 3 days a week were ridable last year. We did some downwinders from ocean to grassy point 6 nm, 2 hr. ride "Cruising". Any intermediate riders with some stamina can do this! Join the party, we organize and car pool-Free! http://www.kitedownwinder.org Contact marty or http://www.mykitetrip.com Contact joe

pacspeed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pacspeed » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:38 pm

Had a very nice szechuan there about two weeks ago, typical 9m flatwater spot. It WAS on a NWerly, so it's presumably not "normal" for mid summer, but it was sunny, the water was clean, and there's oysters and beer afterward in Marshall.

The launch is pretty weak, a rocky little cove about 1 mile N of marshall, with not much room for more than 2 or 3 kites, maybe it's better at low tide.

On a different note, the west side of the bay had several sweet looking beaches, Shell beach, Marshall beach, and Hearts desire are three of them that had sand, room to spread out, and nobody around. Unfortunately it adds 20-30 min to drive up the Inverness side, and it's state park, meaning fees and rangers. Also could be tough getting off the beach as the prevailing NW is sort of shaded on that side, but damn it looked like a nice place to hang out and launch. Super spot for the wife and kids if you are so inclined.

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Tue May 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Tomales can be WILD. I did the downwinder with the NorCalKite group from Dillon to Tomales. Wish I could take it back as it was the most wild and crazy kite adventure I had ever been on. 20-44mph, lit, sharky, gusty, nukefest conditions. I did manage to make it in to Grassy Point. We lost two boards and three kiters along the way. Everyone was all right but not the safest journey. My .02.
Happy Kitings!
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -