Venezuela in December?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
perukite
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Venezuela in December?

Post by perukite » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:25 pm

I'll be in Colombia near the end of December and was thinking of popping over to Venezuela for some quality kite time there. Have not even begun to de reserach so thought I would check in here first for any first hand pointers/tips from people who have been there recently or go with frequency.

I'm an advanced intermediate-advanced kiter and my wife is recently up and riding but not staying upwind yet. So i'm looking for someplace that we can both go and kite together. Someplace where I can have fun with varied locations but also someplace that would be ideal for my wife to get past the downwind riding stage.

Say for instance I get a flight to Caracas from Bogota.....what is my next step in getting out to one of the island spots? Which one, where do we fly, accomodation reccomendations, etc.

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to see if I get any wind in Cartagena which I've kited before in September. But it's not really the best place to do a kite specific trip to. Or if anyone here knows about the Pacific coast kiting in Colombia that would be welcome too as I know there are some sick wave spots there - but obviously it doesn't work for my wife...

davewsail
Regular
Regular

Re: Venezuela in December?

Post by davewsail » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:33 pm

Los Roques is a beautiful, mellow place to kite. With that said when we went in March I was on my 14m almost every day-- not my ideal conditions. But as far as a varied, drop-dead beautiful spot, it can't be beat. Lots of little islands to kite off of. And the wife will certainly appreciate it. It wasn't crowded at all and we went over Easter. The posadas send you to your island of choice daily with a packed lunch. You'll pay for it though.

One thing to watch-- you have to change your dollars in the black market to get a good deal. You can do it either in Caracas or at the islands. Caracas is a sketchy place.
Team rider for Sheldon Kiteboarding and North

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:07 pm

My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

craickite
Contributor
Contributor

Post by craickite » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:24 pm

hey purukite,

was wondering how your trip to colombia / venezuela went..
im also going to be in colombia this christmas..
going to head out to San Andreas Is. for 7/8 days .
after that the rest of my group who are not kiters head back to san fran. i was thinking of staying on a week or 2, to do some more kiting but have no idea where..

ill be flying from SF-Cartagena out to San Andreas and back to Cartagena .

any suggestions.
im and intermediate rider, dont really do to much wave riding.

Thanks
F

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:53 pm

In Venezuela Margarita is the place to go - El Yaque Beach. I've been about 15 times so I would definitely consider myself an insider. If you truly plan to go let me know I would not mind giving you tips.

As for Los Roques I have been there twice and it's wonderful for vacationing and for kiting but it's more expensive and the wind isn't as reliable so it really depends on your goals as to which is 'better'.