Get a proto board?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Get a proto board?

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:00 am

I got a great offer from a kite store on a LW prototype board. It was build as part of the 2004 design, its hand made all carbon. The question is, is it safe to buy? I was part of a kite test once and the proto kites, well some of them really sucked. I think some testers were pretty shocked that this stuff even comes out for testing. They were also not built so well because they are not supposed to last.

The guy in the shop is trying to push it hard and itís a good deal (they probably get those for free during testing). Dave has a reputation and getting a LW cheap sounds good.

What do you think? Worth the risk (probably less than 300$)?

consumer
Regular
Regular

Post by consumer » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:35 am

ive always wanted to get a fullbody carbon fibre board, but my mates have always advised against it. They tell me that for one, carbon is strong and super light, yes, but it has horrible flexing properties, which is kind of not cool if you like to have a smooth ride. It also supposedly cant absorb shock as well, so when you come down from jumps, or low powered wake style, or an extreme kiteloop, your knees are going to get a good sharp shock.

This is what i hear,the flexing properties of carbon were enough to get me not to buy one. HOWEVER, that was back when a carbon board was 900$ +shipping from Aus, now that carbon boards are cheaper, i wouldnt see a problem in getting a "beater" of a board, who knows it might even be a great ride, and you could tell me how ive been living wrong for so long.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:34 pm

I am more concerend about buying a prototype and not a production board. Protos are built quicker and sometimes the design is not good, thats why they are protos. Having said, that, Dave has such a great reputation that I think even his protos will be cool. I asked the seller whether the board has the exact shape fo the production board, and never got a direct 'yes' answer.

Little risky.

E

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:26 pm

Hey E,

How about demoing the board. If you really like it you are going to be more than happy to put down the three benji's. I think this is a logical solution. Is this shop owner being a spaz and not willing to let you ride it???

Blair

RobsterCraw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RobsterCraw » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:57 pm

In general with equipment I won't buy something that is newly released I always wait until I can read some consumer reviews, see what the flaws are and just give it time to prove itself. If I'm getting a bargain then maybe its worth the risk but my board is nice, it was nice, it will be nice so without some dramatic and obvious improvement I don't intend to buy up. I have no illusions about my board holding back my style. I have to think this way because I'm a gear junky who would buy all the latest shit all the time if I didn't keep myself in check. That would be wasteful.