BestKiteboarding.com lowered prices even more!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin
BestKiteboarding.com lowered prices even more!

Post by jjm » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:11 pm

It looks like Best has once again followed through with their attempt to "Offer the Best kites, boards, bars and everything you need for a safe kiteboarding experience at extremely affordable prices."

Details from Kite Forum:

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2314386
http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2314440

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:20 pm

Hehe, and as of right now, site is not responding.

:)

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:43 pm

I'm not quite sure what to make of this. From what I understand, it's unclear if they've really made any money at all thus far. I've heard some in the industry say not, that they've spent their first year losing money.
I would hope that many of the other "big" companies get with it and quit trying to maintain their current pricing structure. It seems that many are selling the "feeling" and "perception" that their kites are markedly superior to all others in almost every way, and it's just not so. Sure, some are a *bit* better than others in terms of performance and features. Regaining dropping market share should be Job No. 1 for them.
Best has adopted a pretty ruthless approach before, but as far as the others companies go, there's really nothing they can do about it, so they're in a tight spot. I bet a few kite companies will be having mettings in the morning to discuss this recent turn of events!

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:13 pm

i hope PRice war!
charlie

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:01 pm

So what do you guys think about the overall entry fee to the sport being lowered?

On one hand, money saved could potentially go to lessons where buying gear at earlier prices migh have disallowed for one on a budget.

On the other, there is a finite number of active kiteboarders that a location can support. Unlike say snow resorts, which can manage growth by building or upgrading lifts.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:47 pm

all in all, i think things are going great,

if kiting hits it big and gets real popular, so be it, i may have to quit and go back to riding for suicide on a sportbike.

Gecko

Post by Gecko » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:37 pm

Run the numbers.
I did a buy 2 get 1 free last year with best. If I were to buy the same three right now it is a slightly higher price. Nothing has changed drastically. put pen to calculator. It's called smart marketing again.
Alex is a numbers guy, he comes from Wallstreet, no dummy with P&L's.

It's no more revolutionary than their entry, it's just smart, it gets press. He is taking a play from the Richard B and Virgin inc playboook, Market smart, and be creative. When I buy a 99cent burger at McD's think they plan t make bucks....but when I buy a coke for $1.69 they do.

I bought from WW this year...try new...but,not selling my best stuff, the nemi is a great kite.

Where are we Russia? why debate it. capitalism is good...greed is good
Gordon Gecko

consumerr

Post by consumerr » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:22 pm

youre awesome gecko, if i was old enough id buy you a beer.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:41 am

Some other manufacturer (liquid force I think) declared a price match to Best in Australia last year. Some big brands are definitely selling the "feel" and the name.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:40 am

Quite a bit of marketing hype.

Best and other similar companies likes to compare the top of the line kites to other top brands. This is not realistic. Anyone that wants to compare a Nemisis to say a Rhino or Nitro can schedule a demo a Kite Wind Surf. The safety systems and kite performance are much better on these kites. As for price you will find the new Cabrinha Element to have a very competitive price and great safety system and performance that would be more in line with these "B" brand companies.

Which kite companies are spending money on R&D to make the sport safer, convenient, and accessable to newcomers????

Spend your money wisely. A cheap kite is exactly that.