Any new-bee's up for alameda, thurs-sun

Hook up with other kiters, share rides, or find a kite mentor & speed your progression.
Forum rules
Use "Group Notice" when posting/responding to notify interested kiters!
kyates19
Joey
Joey
Any new-bee's up for alameda, thurs-sun

Post by kyates19 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:55 pm

I have had a few lessons, and really want to get in the water with my kite. I don't want to upset the locals, or any old school kite boarders. So I figure if there are any other new-beeís who want to go out this weekend maybe we can meet up, and help each other out. Or if there is a local who can spare some time and show us the in and outs of alameda that would be great.

Thank you,
Kevin

kyates19
Joey
Joey

Post by kyates19 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:30 pm

By the way I am a chef and a home brewer, so if you are local in alameda, I would be willing to do trade. Help me to setup, get in the water, and not piss anyone off and I will teach you how to make your girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife favorite meal or I will brew you some beer.

kitedancer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitedancer » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:37 pm

Hi,

Just show up- Every new beach I have been to - I always go to the beach, and seek out other kiters, and introduce myself. Check out the wind, what size kite everyone is flying...

I started at Alameda, and always received help, tips, etc...even when I was trying to re-launch in the water, my first day out someone came by, while they are kiting to help me.

Have Fun!

-Lisa

H2obrod
Contributor
Contributor

Post by H2obrod » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:09 am

I'm new need help launching 2. Would be down 2 go and practice.

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Post by super_monkey » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:04 am

but it's not windy guys

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:48 am

yeah, the wind is an unfortunate necessity of this sport and alameda usually does not blow. Alternatives:

downwinder at the delta. Kitewindsurf will take you on a jetski lesson and find you wind. if you are able to at least body drag somewhat efficiently-3rd ave, launching from the upper launch and coming in at the lower launch.

If you do go to alameda, just beware of people, it is a public beach and unlike most of the other spots, there are other people than kiters there. high tide, low winds, warm weekend=bad day to play around. During the week, any tide, ikite reads 14-20, great day to play around and learn your stuff.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:24 pm

There's only one month left of wind for beginner spots, and it is becoming sketchy at best. For the people who are just starting, I'm afraid you guys are gonna be hurtin' until next spring.

Best bet for Alameda is to watch the meter like Yuri said, then be rigged and ready to go at a moment's notice before 3:30 pm. Wind will be there, but for a very short time, probably between 30 minutes to an hour of rideable conditions. Prepare to wait and BS with the rest of the crew waiting there, you are going to need company.

If you don't see even a tiny bit of white caps after the buoys, don't go, wait for the cue of the much more experienced riders waiting.

But then again, its a perfect time to practice self-rescue. I decided I needed a refresher course yesterday, so I purposely ditched my kite, learned a lot of stuff of what not to do, and made mental notes of things that need to be done quick.

So, if you guys are in Alameda, and wind is sketchy, I suggest you guys buddy up and practice self rescue.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:38 pm

Oh, one more thing.

If the wind is light, you decided to go out anyway and crash your kite near the beach, if there are swimmers around, please flag your kite, and don't try to re-launch if there are swimmers immediately downwind of you. If your kite powers up, you might end up clipping one of the swimmers.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:08 pm

I plan on posting a full "what not to do" using this jack-ass on a yellow cabrhinha today who would not let me land him.