Indoor storage and cleaning tips?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin
Indoor storage and cleaning tips?

Post by jjm » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:41 pm

I live in a condo with minimal storage space. Right now, I'm clearing out a closet that will house most of our sporting equipment. Wondering if anyone has any tips on indoor storage?

The kites I picked up at the swap meet are a bit funky. They're dry and everything, was wondering if putting them in a plastic storage container would make it worse? With a deoderizer/baking soda?

On a related note, what kind of cleaning procedures do you? Rinse and dry after each session? Let dry and leave the salt to make it harder for bacteria to grow?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:47 pm

Surprisingly enough, the best thing you can do with a kite that's damp or wet from saltwater is just put it away folded as you would always fold it and dry it out on your next session. The worst thing you can do would be to put it away wet after exposure to fresh water as mold will develop. I sold my last Best kite this last Sundat at the Swap Meet and it was still slightly damp from my trip to Costa Rica in January, but was completely unhramed, just a little salt water moisture was all. No worries!

RobsterCraw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RobsterCraw » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:06 pm

I used to be in the habit of drying out my kite completely after rinsing it in fresh water. I know what salt water will do to a wetsuit after a while and wanted to any of the rubber on my kite. Now that I have a pick up truck with a trunk in the bed. I can just stash it in there all season and I don't have to worry about smelling up any closets or rooms. My truck is sooo perfect for this sport (Honda Ridgeline)

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:02 am

Salt water generally do not encourage mold. If you wash the kite in clear water, make sure that it is completely dry before storage because it will get mold. I would say that if the kites see regular use don't bother.