San Francisco Bay Area Kiteboarding Lessons

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:43 pm

username wrote:Hi,
Im new to the sport. I already have both water and land lesson last seasson at Alameda (its too far since I live in Antioch). I am planning to take a refreshers course. Does it matter where I take my lesson either Sherman Island or Alameda? whats the difference?
If you can wait, you might as well go for it at Sherman Island as it's much closer to you. There may be willing instructors at Sherman Island soon, but it may still be a little while bfore a wind pattern materializes there.

Good luck!

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:13 am

If you are going to take a lesson read this article!
"A Water Lesson"
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/vie ... highlight=

And Then....
Fly the stunt kite with your left hand only (simulated body dragging).
Fly the stunt kite with your right hand only (simulated body dragging)..
Fly the stunt kite with your left hand only (simulated putting board on feet).
Fly the stunt kite with your right hand only (simulated putting board on feet)..
Fly the stunt kite with your eyes closed (simulated shit happens).
Fly the stunt kite with your stomach on the ground (simulated wipeout).
Fly the stunt kite with your back on the ground (simulated wipeout).
Fly the stunt kite in a tracing pattern (trees clouds buildings)
Fly the stunt kite in a square pattern (left hand only, right hand only etc.).
Fly the stunt kite and park it in the sky.
Fly the stunt kite until it is a part of you.

Why?
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/vie ... highlight=

Jamescoop

Kite Camp?

Post by Jamescoop » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:59 pm

Does anyone know of any 3-day or so kite camps?

James
jamescoop@att.net

jstjohn3
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jstjohn3 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:27 pm

Nat of Edge Kiteboarding is back from Baja and set up at Sherman Island NOW!!

roque
Joey
Joey

Re: San Francisco Bay Area Kiteboarding Lessons

Post by roque » Mon May 09, 2005 9:12 am

Hi ther my name is rodrigo, i'm from cancun, i was talking to people at wind wing, because I want to try their kites. I'm going to san francisco the next 14th of may for the whole week. but I don't know if there is someplace i can try them out. Tehy told me ...Oliver the moderator of this page could help me out. If any of you know how to contct him ...
just let me know ..Thank's !!!

roque
Joey
Joey

Post by roque » Mon May 09, 2005 9:22 am

------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi there my name is rodrigo, i'm from cancun, i was talking to people at wind wing, because I want to try their kites. I'm going to san francisco the next 14th of may for the whole week. but I don't know if there is someplace i can try them out. Tehy told me ...Oliver the moderator of this page could help me out. If any of you know how to contct him ...
just let me know ..Thank's !!!

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon May 09, 2005 6:01 pm

Rodrigo,

No problemo mi amigo. We should be able to meet sometime during the week you are here. We have the Rage II 8m, 10, 12m, and 14m, Outrage 10m, 12m and 14m and Rapture 9m, 12m and 15m available for demo.

Can you provide me with some information? What is your skill level and weight and how long have you been kiteboarding?

Thanks,
Ollie

Kansas Corey

New to Bay area - looking for a little advice

Post by Kansas Corey » Thu May 12, 2005 10:17 pm

As the subject says, I am looking for a little advice. Moved to Walnut Creek (East Bay) in January and want to get back into kiteboarding.

The first question: Can you guys personally recommend a place to take some lessons? Everything I know has been self taught while I lived in England. Several friends and I decided to teach ourselves. They are all actually very good right now. Unfortunately I am not so good - they have had a lot more time on the water than I have. The last time I went was in June 2004 in Fuertaventura. I was able to stand up on the board and make several runs to both my left and right sides, but unable to work my way upwind. Of course, there were a lot of out-of-control moments, but I did manage to stand and ride the board several times. As my English friends kept saying, I was about to "crack it" when the wind turned crappy and we were done until we had to fly out. I would like to take some lessons, but I want to go someplace that you guys know well enough that you would send your best friend to.

The second question: Where is the best (and closest) place to go kiteboarding from Walnut Creek?

The third & final question: What type of lesson do you think I should start with? As I mentioned, I have managed to get up on the board several times, but that was almost a year ago. My learning process started with a 6m Wipika 2-line kite at the park about 4 years ago. Whenever there was a storm blowing in (This is England - it happened a lot) we would head to the park and drag ourselves all over the place. We then spent about 1-1.5 years going to the beach on the weekends hoping for good weather. It seemed there was not enough wind on most occasions (and sometimes everyone was a bit too hungover from the night before), but I got very good at dragging around behind the smaller kites - almost like skiing on the sand. I would hate spend the money and start with beginner lessons flying a 1 meter kite on the beach, but I am also not too proud to admit that I could use some professional guidance. There were a few occasions in Fuertaventura that I managed to scare myself silly, especially behind a 9m 4-line kite; ended up inverted about 10 feet above the water, screaming down wind at 15+ mph to crash into 2 feet of water. Gave everyone on the beach a good laugh. Took a little bounce out of my step for the rest of the day.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Corey

~emily.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Shameless plug follows (I hope nobody is offended) :wink:

Post by ~emily. » Fri May 13, 2005 7:53 am

Shameless plug follows (I hope nobody is offended) :wink:

Corey,
Kite Wind Surf offers "custom" jet-ski assist kiteboarding lessons.
You can call to schedule a private lesson with a certified instructor, where you will set your own goals and spend the whole lesson working on your kite control and board skills on a big downwind run with the instructor right there near you coaching you from the jetski.
The price is $250 for a 3-hour lesson. If you are interested, please call (510) 522-WIND

cheers!
~emily.
Kite Wind Surf

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Shameless plug follows (I hope nobody is offended) :win

Post by OliverG » Fri May 13, 2005 6:12 pm

~emily. wrote:Shameless plug follows (I hope nobody is offended) :wink:

cheers!
~emily.
Kite Wind Surf