Alameda + Storm = Slice of heaven!!!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
pipedragon
Regular
Regular
Alameda + Storm = Slice of heaven!!!

Post by pipedragon » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:20 pm

I was almost not even going to go out today. I arrived at Alameda at 4pm and it was miserable rain and dark clouds. Not another kiter in site not even another car in the parking lot for that matter. I sat in my car all ready to go and no where to go. I sat pondering!! Should I go self launch and go out or go home and do homework!! Humm! It is windy and low tide so if anything went wrong I could walk in. But wait!! Why is no one else here?? Saturday and Sunday were even worse weather. Is there something I should know about going out??? That made me really nervous!! Finnaly another car. He's getting out and heading over to the water. So I decide to get out, who knows he could be a kiter or at least give me a launch. Alas!! he is a kiter and wants to kite too. I explain that I did not want to go out alone in a storm of all things and he agreed. I quickly pumped up and trew on my wetsuit. Like the fastest I have ever done it. The wind was really cranking. I setup my lines and as I was getting ready to self launch he came over and helped launch my kite. I offered to help him launch if he needed help but he declined and self launched. I ran out to the water as fast as I could. The wind had really picked up and it was starting to rain. There was a black cloud over head. I got to the water and started to kite. The wind and water and waves really kicked up. I felt like gilligan and the skipper out there. I was all alone and could barely see the other guy on the beach. I was getting worked because the wind was really strong. Then all of a sudden the clouds opened up and there was a small hole where the sun was shining through. It was like I was in the eye of the storm. All around me there was rain and caos and as long as I stayed under this hole in the sky it was heaven. Even the water looked different. It was all smooth and silky almost like it was computer animated. Really strange! Then out of nowhere this huge rainbow forms. I swear I was right at the end of it too but there were no leprichans or pot of gold anywhere. What a bunch of crap!! Anyway me and the other guy kited for a while until his chicken loop came out and he had to let his kite go. For an hour or so the wind kind of died anyway. It started to come backa bit so I headed out. Then out of nowhere here comes a brand new Torch!! I did not even see them launch. It was L.M.G of course. I was glad to see someone else. Which is wierd because saturday I was thinking about how crowded the beach is becoming. It was like old times. Then to top it all off in comes a bright orange RRD of none-other then the Original himself Chip. Man, everytime I think I am getting good Chip comes out and throws down some new tricks that keep me humble! It was pretty crappy rain and wind for awhile but then it got really steady and we kited until dark. Some of us did not think that L.M.G was even going to come in at all. All in all a surprise lucky session at Alameda and as close to heaven as you can get. I would have pictures but it was raining! :)

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:41 am

As close to heaven as you can get? Hmm, seemed pretty cold and rainy to me. I had spent enough time doing that November through February!

zgur
Resident
Resident

Stoke

Post by zgur » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:09 am

Love the stoked story bro!!!!!

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:25 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:As close to heaven as you can get? Hmm, seemed pretty cold and rainy to me. I had spent enough time doing that November through February!
It was just one of those rare days.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:35 pm

pipedragon wrote:
BayAreaKite wrote:As close to heaven as you can get? Hmm, seemed pretty cold and rainy to me. I had spent enough time doing that November through February!
It was just one of those rare days.
Yeah, I do know what you mean. Sometimes, the weather doesn't have to be quite right, or the wind either, but it's the feeling and fun that make it all worthwhile and memorable. Those days are sometimes elusive, but when you have them, there's not much that can top it.

Right on!!! =D>

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:44 pm

kinda like you had today ollie
with the fat kiteloop airs
on that stinking rage2.
charlie

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:27 pm

This new job is killing me!!! Hope there is still wind this weekend!!!!
Dewey