Any tips to plug bladder after inflating? (& other q's)

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin
Any tips to plug bladder after inflating? (& other q's)

Post by jjm » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:41 pm

Any tips to plug strut/leading edge after inflating?

I've been pulling out the hose with my right hand, and plugging with my left thumb. Can do that pretty quick, but keep fumbling getting the plug in. Especially hard on the smallest struts on my 5m.

When people refer to "pinching", is this for deflating?

Do the newer kites generally have bladders with some type of 1-way valve to make inflating easier (stopper balls, or the plastic piece that makes deflating pool mattresses difficult)?

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:55 pm

some do, and i turn them upside down to get the ball to drop into the hole.
as for pinching, its to stop or slow down the air getting out. you might try putting your finger over the hole to stop air getting out. befor you plug it
charlie

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:00 pm

charlie wrote:some do, and i turn them upside down to get the ball to drop into the hole.
as for pinching, its to stop or slow down the air getting out. you might try putting your finger over the hole to stop air getting out. befor you plug it
So pinch at the base of it?

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:04 pm

ya on the bigger part
the smaller ones are trickie, try a finger over it?
charlie

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:08 pm

jose i almoust forgot
bob got me to use needle nose plires on the base right wereit go from big to nozzle that works fine.
charlie

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:31 am

Needle nose plyers??? At risk of offending mixed company (I think Hana is the only girl)... pinch the base of of the nozzles like it was your girls ti&%tys!!! That's how we used to teach people on the beach. It'll get easier to do over time. That's how you will tell someone who hasn't been kiteing very long. You'll see them frustrated on the beach trying to figure out the nozzles on the struts.
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:36 am

Well, that may be a bad example, as what you are referring might require a, um, not so, um, aggressive approach. I wouldn't use needle nose pliers though, they will damage the valve before long. Just use your fingers to squeeze hard to keep the air in, it's just a matter of getting used to.

Did you really tell people on the beach that? :?:

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:41 pm

guys
on small kites that have short struts it is hard to keep the right amount of air in it. the needle nose works fine, for normal size ,ya your fingers fine

you two have not even tried it, and you both shoot down? nothing like an open mind.
charlie

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:22 pm

I pinched the valves this morning, and was able to slow the air (not completely stop it), I guess it just takes practice.

Also, I read on Kiteforum after I posted here to wrap the needle nose plier tips with soft tape. Sounds like a good idea.

- Josh

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:30 pm

jjm wrote:I pinched the valves this morning, and was able to slow the air (not completely stop it), I guess it just takes practice.

Also, I read on Kiteforum after I posted here to wrap the needle nose plier tips with soft tape. Sounds like a good idea.

- Josh
Wrapping the pliers with soft tape sounds like a good idea and should prevent any wear resulting from the serrated or grooved metal surface of the pliers. O:)