Berkeley Beach Clean Up A Success!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Berkeley Beach Clean Up A Success!

Post by OliverG » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:08 pm

Saturday, March 19 brought us the scheduled Berkeley Beach Clean-up and despite heavy rain early in the morning and a gloomy forecast, luck was on our side as the rained stopped magically at our scheduled start of 9am.

Many thanks to Peter Schultze-Allen at the City of Emeryville for helping to coordinate everything. Peter helped us out greatly by coordinating the drop-off of a dumpster from Waste Management, getting the city's liability waivers modified by the city attorney for our event, and for showing up on his own time on Saturday morning to get us the waivers for everyone to sign before the event could take place.

And of course, thanks to everyone who showed up for the event! We had a lot of people-power to get even the biggest timbers moved into the dumpster, which definitely took some teamwork. At one point, fourteen people were working hard to get the beach cleaned up. It was great to see everyone come out and lend a hand, even those who couldn't stick around to kite afterwards.

Here's a Before pic of the beach:

As you can see, much debris of all sorts, but mostly huge timbers, had been washed up onto the beach during the winter. Eliminating this debris eliminated hazards and was an important step in order to make the beach safer. Thanks to everyone's hard work and enthusiasm, we were able to use manpower, chainsaws, weed-trimmers, rakes, and shovels to clear the beach and get everything to the dumpster.

Here's a After pic of the beach:

We were all tired and sore, but had been working all morning while the wind was cranking, so many of us figured we would rest up plenty later and hit the water. The winds were strong and gusty, and we all managed to have some great fun.

Another shot of the final product:

And the full dumpster:

Thanks again everyone, you guys are awesome!

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:17 pm

me too
thanks to all ,josh , L.M.G dave n dave hell everyone!
and ya today you had to be 200 lbs or bigger to have fun.
big boy z had fun.
charlie

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:07 pm

What did it cost you to get the BAK logo on the Albertsons truck? :)

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:20 pm

Yep it was fun diggin' and diggin'
Now I see it was a small beach and now it's big! It was fun to check out the new spot for me too. Thanks Charlie, LMG, Ollie to guide me into the new world! I'll make sure I stay away from ROCKS next time.

Heavy D

Berk

Post by Heavy D » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:31 pm

Sorry to have missed the cleanup. Johanna had a walk-a-thon @ her school, part of being a dad.

The afternoon sesh was good. A few juicy puffs came through. Nice to have some weight to hold down the power. Big Dave, you would have had fun. For a change, being big was a positive.

Looks good for tomorow as well.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:44 am

Wow Ollie you gat Albertsons to put up your logo on their truck!!!
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:26 pm

dewey wrote:Wow Ollie you gat Albertsons to put up your logo on their truck!!!
Yeah, Albertsons was pretty cool about it. Seeing as how they didn't know about it. :)

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:36 pm

I'm sorry i missed it. It looks like i missed out on a good time.

I also love Ollie's photoshop skills. Nice.

Blair