Berkeley Launch/Land Right of Way - Vote!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Berkeley Launch/Land Right of Way - Vote!

Post by OliverG » Wed May 12, 2004 7:53 pm

Generally speaking, launching riders are given right of way, however site-specific conditions at times require the opposite.

For instance, Berkeley which has a very small beach surrounded by rocks and adjacent high-traffic roads. In this case, it would seem that the public and all kiters would be best served by incoming kites being landed and out of the way, thus putting the incoming kiters out of harm's way and clearing up space for the outgoing kiter to launch and make his way out into the water to send it. This is a small, hazardous launch adjacent to I-80, the frontage road, freeway onramp and pedestrian heavy Bay Trail. Should incoming kiters have to hang out on the beach with kites overhead waiting to land so others can launch? Space is at a premium and 2 kites up and it's crowded. I think safety and the public come first.

What do you think? Cast your vote and maybe we can establish what is the safest option for the public, and kiters.

Greg T

Right of Way

Post by Greg T » Wed May 12, 2004 11:20 pm

I have always assumed that an incomming kiter should not come too close to the beach if it appears an other kiter is about to launch. (I agree that there is not enough room at Berkeley to have 2 kiters on the beach with kites in the air.)
The standard right of way rule makes sense since it allows more kites to get out on the water and less kites on the beach where there is less space. This is especially true at Berkeley. (Why lay your kite lines on top of someones who is about to launch?)

Of course if the incommiming kiter is in distress he should have right of way.

My 2 cents worth.

Greg

charlie
Old School
Old School

right

Post by charlie » Thu May 13, 2004 6:30 am

himmm..
berk putin is port side out
berk putin is stbd comeing in
a kiter comeing in after a sail could be tired,sore, broke spent ect
a kiter going out just started and should have more energy
get the inbound kite in frist
charlie

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Right of Way

Post by OliverG » Thu May 13, 2004 7:57 am

[quote="Greg T"]"I have always assumed that an incomming kiter should not come too close to the beach if it appears an other kiter is about to launch. (I agree that there is not enough room at Berkeley to have 2 kiters on the beach with kites in the air.)"

----- How about if the incoming kiter just body-dragged in 100 yards or more in dying winds struggling to keep kite aloft? After already downing kite and somehow, miraculously being able to relaunch and drag to the beach. Like what happened yesterday. You wouldn't let me cross to the other side of you to land my kite, forcing me to back up against you and land my kite in the water, because you had to launch in dying winds and you proceeded to dump your kite in the water instantly after launching. Twice. When you could have just let me land, because it was obvious you weren't going anywhere anyway. I haven't started this thread to create any arguments, just to try and establish some guidelines for this particular launch based on public consensus, either way.

"The standard right of way rule makes sense since it allows more kites to get out on the water and less kites on the beach where there is less space. This is especially true at Berkeley. (Why lay your kite lines on top of someones who is about to launch?)"

----- If an incoming kiter can't come in because someone is about to launch, they're going to be in the area that the outgoing kiter needs to use to get underway in the water. An outgoing kiter needs all that room in front of the beach to wade out in the water far enough and send the kite keeping clear of the rocks and the Bay Trail. I think safety and the public should be #1.

That would be my 2 cents worth.
Oliver

Greg T

Right of Way

Post by Greg T » Thu May 13, 2004 10:11 am

Ollie, I'm sorry about getting in your way yesterday. I was not clear where you wanted to go(I thought you wanted walk back away from the water and not over my lines) and the set-up was much different than usual because of the south wind combined with the high tide. I was not aware of the struggle you had comming in since you were on you board close to the beach. I saw two kites still having a good time on the water and wanted to join them.

Greg T

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu May 13, 2004 5:58 pm

No sweat Greg, it happens, but given the launch and location it's probably best to get some guidelines established either way to prevent any future confusion.

Ollie

jstjohn3
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Launch/Land

Post by jstjohn3 » Wed May 19, 2004 9:32 pm

I check to see if anyone is launching before I come in and land, but I do agree that if I'm about to launch and see someone coming in for a landing, it's best to wait and get them off the water. We just don't know what kind of condition their in....better to get a tired kiter off their kite first. Another thing, common sense would dictate that if two kiters are coming in for a landing, we land one at a time. The other day I just got off the water and was about to bring my kite down when another kiter came charging onto the beach, nearly crossed lines with me and put his kite down before me...careless actions like that get people killed. The Kiter Mantra: Courtesy, Common Sense, Rip, Courtesy, Common Sense, Rip, Courtesy, Common Sense, Rip.

kie

protocol

Post by kie » Thu May 20, 2004 10:23 pm

let's also remember.
while passing
downwind..kite down
upwind...kite up

swoleKEN
Joey
Joey

Post by swoleKEN » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:48 am

hate kiting berkley....javascript:emoticon(':roll:')
Rolling Eyes

swoleKEN
Joey
Joey

Post by swoleKEN » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:51 am

sorry can't spell (Berkeley)