Link 5 line tuning - compensate 4 kite falling - Red Bridals

Please make all commercial, shop and industry postings here.
vze298zp
Joey
Joey
Link 5 line tuning - compensate 4 kite falling - Red Bridals

Post by vze298zp » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:39 am

Kite falls from 12 o'clock in gusty winds. Some say the flatness of the kite is the problem. The most positive comments from the forums on flying the link come from persons using 5 lines.
I have a 9m and 15m with the red bridals.
Any comments on this.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:47 am

Hmm, I think this generally only happens if you've got the bar sheeted out quite a bit, if it's somewhat lighter wind and if you are "ignoring" the kite. 5 line pretty much eliminates the problem, but 4-line is good too. There are many who are riding the links in 4-line config w/red bridles with no problems.

The link, especially in 4-line mode likes to be flown, so probably the best thing you can do to avoid this issue completely is keep it moving a bit rather than parking solid at 12 o'clock and sheeting the bar out moderately or a lot.

Consider 5-line also. They are very good in 5-line and are quite solid and stable with a bit faster turning and more of a c-kite feel.

vze298zp
Joey
Joey

Post by vze298zp » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:26 am

Sounds good, I will stay with the red bridals and set the stopper ball closer to the bar to reduce my tendancy to sheet out. What are your suggestions on relaunching the link from the water ?

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:06 am

For link owners, its a love-hate relationship, its either you like the kite or you don't. I own a quiver and I like them a lot. Flew both 5 line and 4 line configuration, but am more comfortable with the 5 line setup.

You will have to modify the 5 line setup to make it fly better, download the tech manual update for 5 line setup from the slingshot website, grab the following file:
07_link_update1.2.pdf
http://buyslingshotsports.com/s.nl/ctyp ... ategory=13

Since my kites are out of warranty, I did further modifications on the 5 line setup to make it fly more to my personal preference, but only do this once you are very familiar with the kite. At this point in your game, I recommend you stick with the 4 line setup until you don't crash the kite any more.

Generally, don't park the kite at 12:00, a lot of kites will fall from this position. Think about it, if you are body dragging, or you are trying to board start but you are doing it in a slow deliberate manner, you will end up drifting downwind, and the kite will fall out of the wind window. Best to either keep flying it a bit or keep it at about 1 or 2 oclock.

Ollie is right, the links needs to be flown, they don't like to sit in idle in low wind conditions. You can keep them flying in idle only in high wind conditions.

vze298zp
Joey
Joey

Post by vze298zp » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:51 pm

Good info, thank you. The comment stated when the kite fell was it was too flat. That is why I thought the five line would give it more of a "C" shape. Additionally a previous forum from 2006 mentioned the adjustments to line lenghts made before the Link 5 line Bridle adjustment version 1.2. A kiter's personal adjustments referred to an additional 10 inches in the 5th line and 2 additional inches in the steering lines.

With the red bridals do you have a greater success method for launching a crashed kite ? Up to now my experience has been with a switchblade and a convert. The switchblade and the convert just required pointing the end of the handle at the kite. The directions that came with the Link show a multiple step process. I am hoping for a simple relaunch method. What are your suggestions ?

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:02 pm

I would say similar techniques. I use the same self-launching techniques with the switchblade and the link in red bridle setup. You may have to pull the leader line closer to you to get it right with the link. Some people may have different experience with this, so they will probably chime in.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:27 pm

Red bridle 4-line relaunching is usually super-easy, just start pulling on the outside line most in alignment with the wind it will just taxi over the edge of the window and pop up...

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:41 pm

Relaunching is different than with other kites, but like Ollie said, all it takes is pulling one line towards you.

However, the kite doesn't relaunch well in light winds. I'd say it's not a light wind kite, but I might have pretty high standards in that regard. I ride my 9 link when other people are riding 14s.

The more I kite on crowded days, the more I think that all kites should be designed like the Link to "not like" neutral. Keeping your kite at neutral is a hazard to yourself and anyone kiting around you and should be avoided. Kite schools should stop calling it "neutral" or "12 o'clock" and start calling it "pre-lofting" or "blocking other kiters". :|
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by MehYam » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:13 pm

I had a 9m Link for a while and I kind of regret getting rid of it. I noticed the same issues you did - it would fall out of the sky easily, especially in gusty or variable conditions, it required a lot of attention. Coming from a Switchblade myself, I was used to an ultra-forgivable kite that would just park at any angle with stability - under any conditions - while I sat there and ate a sandwich. To me the Link seemed like it would overfly the window during a gust, and then suddenly lose all lift and fall. Like it was just a tad too heavy. But man, could that thing jump, even underpowered.

I should probably try a Rev sometime.

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by MehYam » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:15 pm

Oh, and I thought it was a great relauncher, definitely on par (or better) than the Switchblade. Which was fortunate, given how much I had to. ;) But yeah, I wish I had kept it to give it a chance in more powered conditions.