Kite XPO 2005 BAK Camping Trip?

Hook up with other kiters, share rides, or find a kite mentor & speed your progression.
Forum rules
Use "Group Notice" when posting/responding to notify interested kiters!
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin
Kite XPO 2005 BAK Camping Trip?

Post by jjm » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:34 pm

As posted here, here, and here, there is going to be a Kite Xpo down in Pismo Beach April 22-24.

Blair (bdawg) and I will be attending, and camping at the Pismo State Beach Oceano (or something like that) campground, which is in Oceano about 5 minutes south of Pismo Beach. Reserve America has some information, and can be used to book a reservation. At this time (Tuesday Mar 1st, 8:16PM) there are 9 "24' developed" and 12 "21' developed" sites available for an arrival of Thursday Apr 21st and departure of Sunday Apr 24th. If you want to crash at our site, just let us know via a private message or reply to this thread. These sites have a maximum of 2 vehicles (2nd vehicle is $6/day), and 8 people. Cash or food donations would be appreciated, but not necessary :wink:

If you choose to reserve your own site, they are $20/night (+$7.50 reservation fee) and available on a first come first served basis at, so there is no way to reserve specific sites or block for a group. What can be done is to call either 8-9 the morning of arrival or after 12pm the previous day to attempt to hold a block. So if you book a reservation, try for a 24' site because that is what we reserved, and let us know so we can try to coordinate?

We chose this campground because it was the only one to offer reservations in advance. There is another State Park/Beach campground that is actually located in Pismo Beach, but only available for walk ins. For the adventurous and with access to a 4x4 vehicle, there is beach camping in the Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area (or something), at about $6/night (per vehicle?). This requires you to pack in, pack out etc, and will be completely exposed to the wind... and iwe're all hoping for there to be a bunch of wind right?

And if you're going to show up but are staying in a hotel, motel, camper, car, whatever, you're welcome to hang out and have a beer or whatever!

bhsu24
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bhsu24 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:48 pm

Is the campground you reserved on the beach where the expo will be held or is there a drive to the expo? i am definatly going to be there and i have a couple friends who will be comming also, im sure i will have to reserve a spot also. so it looks like you will be leaving on thursday, maybe we can hook up and carpool down there together.

bryan
Bryan

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:12 am

(btw, this is all map based, I haven't personally been down here, can't personally vouch for how nice each option is...)

The Oceano campground is in the next town south Oceano, and not directly on the beach (although it looks like there is a lagoon or lake). According to the woman I spoke with it is about 5 minutes away.

If you go to http://maps.google.com (Way cool if you haven't used it yet), click "Directions", and use

Start: 100 Stimson Ave, Pismo Beach, CA (aprox.)
End: 555 Pier Avenue, Oceano, CA

The North Beach campground is closer, in Pismo Beach just North of the Pismo State Beach Golf Course. This place does not accept reservations, I felt more comfortable with having reservations -- but it should be off season and assuming the campgrounds don't get swamped with kitercampers, it should be ok?

The vehicular beach camping is south of the Oceano campground.

Might be tight to carpool with 2+1+possibly 2 others and gear, but we could definitely caravan!

Keep in touch.

- Josh

(p.s. on maps.google.com, click "Local Search" next to "Directions", and type in like "Pizza", "BBQ", "Restaurant", etc. Really cool!)

Pismo Camping

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:38 am

Ok, Couple of pismo tips. (been going to this event for 2 years ina row so far)

Oceano Dunes Campground - No reservation necessary. Why? No campsites! You drive down the beach in your 4x4 or 2wd if u're brave, find a likely spot, and there u camp! No running water, no ameneties, and port-o-jons. If you're into getting a great nites sleep, want your privacy, etc, this is your place....

That being said, it's lots and lots of fun if you don't mind staying up late with a bonfire directly on the beach. There's lots of ATV and 4x4 traffic, so it can get loud in the mornings but it's a totally great time.. Also, if you do camp on the beach, be prepared to take your tent down every day as mine got destroyed (150++ lbs of sand blown onto it, hilarious)

Pismo state beach has more ameneties, but it's a way different (older) crowd.

If you're going the state beach route, remember it's only like 50/nite for 2 to share a room at the motel 6, with all the hot water you want, and closer to the bars at nite. (you haven't lived until you see the caution crew dance!!!)

Driving on the beach is lots of fun, and a MUST is renting an atv for an hour or so and carving up the dunes. Last time it was like 75$ for 2 hours on a Honda 250.... Jumping dunes is fun ;-).

Go into town for the BBQ at mo's and get the fresh chips, not fries, chips.... AMAZING.

See you there!

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:31 pm

Hey guest,
You said 4wd is good on the beach. I have a question about that. What about a 87 subaru wagon with 4wd? It has the 4wd but i'm thinking the skinny tires are not so good if it is real deep soft sand. The thing rocks in the snow but i am not sure about the sand. What do you think?

Thanks,

Blair

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:12 pm

When you're camping, are you well clear of the throughfare area where all the vehicles are travelling up and down the beach? Years ago, at Reggae on the River up north, a camper was killed when he got run over by a truck. He was just snoozing in his sleeping bag, in the wrong place presumably.... :!:

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:19 pm

87 subaru would most likely be fine there, the sand is very hard packed (think ocean beach) As long as you stay low, you'll be fine. People do drive on the hardpack in 2wd vehicles all day long, and you mostly don't need 4wd if you don't plan on going in the dunes or drive in the deep soft sand.

Ollie, most people driving up and down the beach stay close to the water where the sand is packed harder. We camped where our tent was up against the fence and it was fine.

As an aside, if you pick the proper spot like I did, and it's Friday night at high tide, you'll get quite the show as people get stuck in the sand!

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kite XPO 2005 BAK Camping Trip?

Post by jjm » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:50 am

jjm wrote:At this time (Tuesday Mar 1st, 8:16PM) there are 9 "24' developed" and 12 "21' developed" sites available for an arrival of Thursday Apr 21st and departure of Sunday Apr 24th.
Just got curious and checked ReserveAmerica, it looks like for those dates, it is down to 7 21' sites (and 18 Mtrhm Trlr Only Hookup 36 Ft sites..)

So, if anyone is planning on making a reservation, might be a good time :)

Anyone else thinking about going?