Need suggestions for a small kite

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Hana
Regular
Regular
Need suggestions for a small kite

Post by Hana » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:48 pm

okay, many experienced and I consider good kiters seem to love the windwing kites. I am in need of a small kite. My current smallest one is Boxer 9m, (and all other kites 12m/16m are Boxer) and to add more kites, would 6m on Rage II is a smart choice? I guess if buy one 2nd one is 50% off then, maybe I should also get 8m? If the wind range would cover for 175lb guys for 25-35mph, then I weigh less, so 6m is enough for me? Would I like Rage II? I also am looking at CO2 (6.5m). Any recommendation for a small kite? I also read you guys talking about high vs. low aspect kites. I think I'd like medium aspect kite for windy days.
Or Charlie is sending me a subliminal message to buy a windwing kite...I'm a little confused.

Thanks!

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:54 pm

I would get another boxer just because you could use your same bar and lines on that kite. You could get a boxer kite only for cheaper as well. The windwings are a great kite as well though so you can't go wrong.

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:14 pm

Thanks Ryan. I found a 6m Boxer at Gorge. It's a used for $525, a bit pricy I think, for a used but I might be getting it. I also found a cool web cam you can control. I found one kiter in the air earlier today.
http://www.shockles.com/share/webcam.cfm

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:05 pm

Hana
I was just saying that i belive that getting an, say 8m rage2 w the cc bar is like getting two kites range ,you can go out in 8m weather and the wind just keeps jacking up ,you can use the s.a.f.e. and cc bar to overcome the blast(with good edge control) and flying tech.

You do not need to gourp up so tight ....8m and 6m
Yes a 7m would fit your quver
(ollies got one i think for like 300. k.o with a 5 line attchment point i think?)

so yes you should look at finding a 6m boxer and ride it with a what 50cm bar ? (sounds big)?......
or hook up and split the ww deal that would put you in at around 500.00 for a 8m? with a cc bar (that is part of the good depower)
and ride that for awile.
charlie

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:24 pm

A new Rage II 6 is $489 and they are sick kites, or take advantage of the current promotion and get it for half off if you get another. Using your existing bar is an option. But if you've already got an inclination to stay with Naish, you can't go wrong as most all kites are pretty good now, some cost more, some cost less, they have different features and so forth...

The nice thing about the Windwing kites is that they are indeed premium kites with a lot of features and huge range and the pricing is fair. But in all fairness, I'm biased just like anyone else who's stoked on their particular kites.
O:)

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:25 pm

charlie wrote: Yes a 7m would fit your quver
(ollies got one i think for like 300. k.o with a 5 line attchment point i think?)
Just the 9m left now, everything else is gone.

St. Stephen

Small Kite

Post by St. Stephen » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:10 am

In my opinion, staying w/1 kite line makes most sense. The kite will fly the same as all your ther boxers, just less power. I've flown all the boxers sizes, and the 6 is a wonderful little kite. It moves fast - but not too fast. The pull is steady and predictable. The relaunch is stupid fast. Good jumping. Great wave kite. great for freestyle riding. Very durable.

We are all biased. I love naish stuff. It works Well.

Get the used 6m boxer and have fun.

Don't mix and match quivers. Try other people's kites when you can, and if you fall in love w/the feel + bar and can get a good deal, then get a whole quiver.

Good winds, Z.

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:32 am

Thank you everyone! Yes, I got used 6m Boxer. It's coming from Hood River. I even had a dream about I was kiting at Hood River last night with Fedex Ground truck driving around me. It was fun and I was late to work but am happy. I can stick to the same kite and enjoy kiting without much distruction (like learning a new system, bar, etc.).

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Small Kite

Post by OliverG » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:22 pm

St. Stephen wrote:In my opinion, staying w/1 kite line makes most sense. The kite will fly the same as all your ther boxers, just less power. I've flown all the boxers sizes, and the 6 is a wonderful little kite. It moves fast - but not too fast. The pull is steady and predictable. The relaunch is stupid fast. Good jumping. Great wave kite. great for freestyle riding. Very durable.

We are all biased. I love naish stuff. It works Well.

Get the used 6m boxer and have fun.

Don't mix and match quivers. Try other people's kites when you can, and if you fall in love w/the feel + bar and can get a good deal, then get a whole quiver.

Good winds, Z.
You're right Z, staying with one line is best overall. I guess then it just depends one what one's future holds. If someone is fairly confident that they'll be staying with the same brand, merging a like kite into their existing quiver is a good choice. If someone thinks they may be looking elsewhere, then that's a good opportunity to demo some other kites maybe, or just go for it and try something new.

Ollie

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:02 pm

Check out the Extacy 4.5. It is equivalent to 6M inflatable. I don't know the exact price because prices are not published, but based on the cost of my XTC10 if should be something around $700+ complete (with bar and lines). You get what you pay for, and its not that more expensive.