stolen kite from race track

Reunite gear with owners here.
glenn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
stolen kite from race track

Post by glenn » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:52 pm

today my kite was most likely stolen from the race track. I had it pumped up with bar and lines attached on the small beach at the south side of the parking area. The wind was not good so we were messing around and kiteskateboarding while waiting for the wind to come up. Then we went over to launch the kite during a puff and it was gone. This was around 6:15. The kite was only there for about an hour. The kite is a 13M Waroo - Orange. We did not see anyone around the kite. The only distinguishing mark is three tar patches on the leading edge from the oil spill. They won't come off. I suppose there is an outside chance it blew away because the tide came in but this is unlikely because both the tide and wind were onshore. Of course I did a thorough search around the area downwind and crosswind along the shoreline. Then reported to cops.

Please help me out and try and catch the thief by searching on all of the kite selling forums - then ambush them and break there f-ing knee caps. Only joking - call the cops and set up a sting. This will be worth a case of beer and a couple tanks of gas money for kiting.

And watch out for your gear. Thanks, Glenn

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:08 pm

this is the 1st stolen inflated kite I have heard of. kinda scary as i almost always feel it is safe to leave my second kite inflated as anyone stealing it would be walking a very obvious and large object around. Sorry to hear this.

nate
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nate » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:10 pm

That's messed up. I wouldn't believe it. They'd best cut town b/c it'll be pretty easy to spot. Maybe there's another explanation? I can't imagine it blew away.

Nate

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:06 pm

Was it weighted down?

kitecrazy
Regular
Regular

Post by kitecrazy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:39 am

I'm sorry to hear this. It means thieves are getting more daring and desperate. Can you confirm a few things:
Was it an 07 or 08 Waroo?
Did they take the bar?
Was it an 07 or 08 bar?
I'll be keepin an eye out on the used kite adds.

(And...keeping things light and fresh)
Did they snag your patented old man pump too?

glenn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by glenn » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:41 am

thanks for the messages - it was weighted down with wet sand however the tide came in and partially covered the tiny beach. At first I figured it washed away or blew away but after a complete search we found no kite. And it's a 13M bright orange kite so not very hard to spot. It is an 08 kite and 07 bar. Bar and lines were also stolen.

true, Nate - I still don't believe it. When I woke up I thought I dreamt it. Then started looking online for a new kite. Jason, I still have the old man pump - I would be super pissed if the rat bastard got it - my most prized piece of kiting gear.

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:42 am

It's actually not that hard to imagine someone walking onto a crowded kite beach, deflating a kite, packing it up and stealing it. Especially if they watched to make sure the person who owned it had already gone out on their other kite.

But I'm guessing there weren't dozens of kites on the beach at the racetrack that day, right? :?
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

glenn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by glenn » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:57 am

there were only three kiters yesterday - me Isaac and Dan. the kite was not visible from where we were kiteskating but we had a two kites and a few boards in the area.

funkiatdabeech
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by funkiatdabeech » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:47 pm

dude, that sucks! that beach is not crowded at all and not really that many people hanging out there.... strange. and let's be on a look out. like before if I saw 13m orange waroo on the water I knew it was probably you out, now I will watch out for those tar stains bro!

glenn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by glenn » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:51 pm

sheet man! don't you have a spare Waroo 13M in the closet? wanna dust off the dust and loan it to your old buddy???