Alameda - Safety Reminder

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
davewsail
Regular
Regular

Post by davewsail » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:28 am

Everyone wants to have 2 babies and carry on their legacy. but we cant afford the population we have now. same for kiting.
Wow Yuri, you always find a way to link global socio-economic issues to kiting. But in this case your facts are not quite on for the US. The US population is actually in decline not taking into account immigration. More and more people are choosing not to have kids or having one. Without immigration the population would decline, and the economy would shrink. If you think we're in a bad time now, just think what decades long recession would do. At least gas would be cheaper since there would be less people to buy it-- but wait China will take up all the slack anyway.
Team rider for Sheldon Kiteboarding and North

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:37 am

as a funny after thought about this

that griffin monkey kite is all of us..
Joe public see that one guy and thinks that's all of us
so set a good kite example and help out a griffin now and then

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:39 am

Very well said charlie thats the truth of the matter. They see one kook and think we are all like that
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:13 am

So Dave, should we expect an increase in immigrant kiters next year? I don't think the loose ends on sunbreros are safe with all those lines.

ningún andar su cometa

davewsail
Regular
Regular

Post by davewsail » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:39 am

Who the hell wants to come to the US now? Job prospects on the decline, dollar laughably weak, choking regulation, high cost of living and rising, dealing with holier than thou attitudes, and protectionist immigration policies. Actually the trend is that many of our visitors from the south are choosing to return home for quality of life reasons.

BTW, tu espanol no esta bien. No uses un translator!
Team rider for Sheldon Kiteboarding and North

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:53 am

=D>

dz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dz » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:04 am

I am sorry that I missed the last one on self-rescue because of work, but I would definitely be interested to attend other safety workshops or discussions.

Especially at Alameda for beginners, to get people on the same page as far as the guidelines and rules of the beach, how to think ahead, and like how to do things in ways to avoid accidents.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:46 am

I hate to bring this up again, I spent the weekend kiting in Alameda, and noticed a sudden increase with beginners rigging up and attempting to fly big inflatables without prior experience. Or, maybe my perception changed because I've been riding the coast and everybody that I ride with are self proficient. We need everyone's help to educate the less experienced kiters and fold them in our group to keep things safe.

Anyways, I rode on low wind conditions and did a big downwinder around 4 p.m. from the shack all the way to McDonald's. Landed my kite and then started walking back. Came across the following kiters:
  • Saturday:
  • I just landed after a good afternoon light wind session, I was helping land other folks. A guy on a 12 meter red griffin monkey kite was walking by, dragging his lines behind him, snags my kite. I asked him politely to wrap his lines, he seemed kinda irritated with me telling him what to do. I don't know what else to do, I was talking to him with a friendly tone and he seemed insulted, told me he is an experienced kiter and knows what he is doing. Lost my patience and told him if he is so good then why is he dragging his lines instead of wrapping it up neatly on the bar. 30 minutes later I see him doing a self-rescue after a botched water start.
  • Sunday:
  • About 10 yards from where I landed, kiter 1, first time flying an inflatable, no trainer kite expereince, riding a 12 meter C kite, downwind of him are kids playing. I begged him not to fly and instead go see either Board Sports School or Kite Wind Surf for some initial lessons. Told him to check out this forum as well. He did listen, thanked me and deflated his kite. Hopefully he will take lessons. He said he bought the C kite from a guy on craigslist who does not know how to use the kite that he sold.
  • Kiter 2, well they are group, two guys and a woman, in front of the Kite Wind Surf cameras. They bought a quiver of slingshot C kites with reverse relaunch capabilities, similar to the cabrinha recons. Anyone here know how to set these up? Kites look brand new, never been used. The guys rigged the 5 meter reversed. I had to stop them and help them rig the kite properly. Since I did not have any experience rigging these types of kite, I was unsuccessfuly in getting them up in the air. Asked them not to rig again. I spent about an hour with them. They tried rigging the 9 meter version later, luckily, I was there again later in the afternoon, after running after a diffrent guy who was trying to relaunch with kids wading in the water. Hopefully, they will listen and get some lessons, and get an account in this forum to get more acquainted with the sports.
  • Kiter 3, a 12 meter red cabrinha omega hd. guy was trying to relaunch in front of wading kids. I had to run after him, turned out it was his first day with the inflatable, and I spent some 20 minutes, instructing him what not to do, and get some lessons and check out this forum.
Maybe we need to post some regulations along the beach? Any ideas? I'm afraid if this keeps going, we are going to get shut down.

Oh, yeah, a big shout out to Slawek for doing a rescue operation late last night, Thanks for Z for lending us his zodiac. Slawek ended up rescuing two boards last night.

litewave125
Joey
Joey

Safety is the main important thing at the beach.

Post by litewave125 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:09 pm

after running after a diffrent guy who was trying to relaunch with kids wading in the water. Hopefully, they will listen and get some lessons ! "
* sounds like you're doing a good thing helping people out if you know and if you can avoid the ugly things happening. People walk to the beach with their own gear they have to know what they are doing i think they all know where is the kite school at, if people are using a lack of knowledge then somethings wrong they will pay the big cost.
Safety is the main important thing at the beach. Well, so is having fun!

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by MehYam » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:25 pm

Good job rey, sounds like you earned a lot of karma points there.

It's disturbing that people can get their hands on gear without encountering the typical info and advice that scares you into taking the sport very seriously (at least, as a beginner).