Alameda - Safety Reminder

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
reyrivera
Old School
Old School
Alameda - Safety Reminder

Post by reyrivera » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:42 am

While reading the SFGate article about the Kiteboarding Nationals, saw this comment about Alameda kiters and beach goers, I'm posting this just a courtesy safety reminder for all of us riding there as we want to keep things mellow and in order. Summer is almost here, and winds are winding down a bit at Alameda, typical downwinders, and downed kites when the wind dies:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article/c ... 1172PT.DTL
ms_kitty6/11/2008 3:52:41 AM

Hello kitesurfers. When you come to Alameda, would you mind carrying your kites when you walk on the beach, rather than letting them fly and hit people? I've seen two people knocked down, and I was grazed, it was a close call. Hey, I'm doing you a favor. If you don't improve your behavior, it's only a matter of time before you kill some old lady, and then you'll have cops watching you and giving tickets.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:57 am

Thanks Rey. it's good to see this stuff even if it is only coming from a few now, it may one day grow into a huge issue. I love how the one guy calls us "Dopes on Ropes." that's awesome!

Thanks Gideon for backing us up on there. we need some more of us to sign up and put our 2 cents in before the word gets out that Crissy and Alameda are death arenas.

And i still wonder if this sport benefits from growth. Although inevitable til it's demise, does a steady increase of new kiters really help anyone but business' that thrive on gear/lessons? I think this world has a serious population issue that can't stop if it tried. Everyone wants to have 2 babies and carry on their legacy. but we cant afford the population we have now. same for kiting. When there 10,000 locals at the 4 main spots, how will we stay alive if the public cant even find a place to sit because there are more and mroe kiters, windsurfers,etc. rigging and falling everywhere?

Our local issue in our sport is a global one as well. Excuse me while i go gas up my Hummer, i am late for a baby shower.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:07 am

A kiter has been called out, so red griffin kiter, if you are reading this, beach sunbathers and swimmers have the right of way. Please wrap up your lines if swimmers are in your impact zone. I'm not trying to flame people, just reminding them that this could have been a serious accident if the kite powered up and clipped one of the kids.

Thanks,
alameda_res6/11/2008 10:19:18 AM

ms_kitty, i'm with you. I bring my kids to enjoy the beach in Alameda when it's not too windy there. I all too often see kiters tentatively shuffling up the beach, fearful eyes on their kites in the sky, high tension lines over beachgoer's heads. Kids curiousity only draws them towards these beach dangers (ok, some look competent, but from what i hear, Alameda attracts alot of beginners too, YIKES!) It is only an accident waiting to happen. Last weekend, in light winds, kites dropping left and right, lots of beachgoers, a red 'Grifin?' kite was down, lines taught and drifting through wading children in the water and idiot kite owner yanking one line after the other, obviously not knowing what the heck he was doing. So Gideonlow, what's a parent to do. I want to enjoy the use of my beach too!

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:21 am

Isn't the griffin a monkey kite?

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:36 am

Just FYI - The only people in the world who call kiteboarders dopes on ropes are a small few of the windsurfers at Crissy who have issues with kiteboarders.

You do the math...
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:50 am

HiMmm,
and do try to follow the local guides...
you know not ride n on the inside..and
do
drag out etc..etc...
then when you get to crissy....
you know how to act
etc... etC.
Last edited by CdoG on Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:47 pm

I dont know if you remember but I mentioned this guy on the red 12 grffin before. he was flying ona no wind day and constantly crashing his kite in attempt to fly it on land. Over and Over and over again. Not cool at all.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:01 pm

I have not personally seen this guy screwing up on land. Maybe if somebody sees him doing the same stuff, or any of his friends reading this thread, let him know what's going on. It would be really sad to start associating Griffin Monkey kites as monkey's kites. They are really good kites, just not the few owners riding the brand.

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:25 pm

HiMmm,
and do try to follow the local guides...
you know not ride n on the inside..and
do
drag out ect..ect...
then when you get to crissy....
you know how to act
ect.... ect...
Etc. Etc. Etc.

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:20 am

o is that how that go's?