Richardson Bay

Information about San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding locations and guidelines.
TheMoniker
Contributor
Contributor
Richardson Bay

Post by TheMoniker » Tue May 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Anyone ever thought of kiting Richardson Bay which lies between Mill Valley and Tiburon?

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Tue May 06, 2008 12:54 pm

Got to make sure that the water reclamation district there stops spilling raw sewage.

eag
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by eag » Tue May 06, 2008 2:36 pm

i'm pretty sure kiting is banned in Richardson because it's a seaplane runway. I think the wind would suck anyway

downhiller
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by downhiller » Tue May 06, 2008 7:42 pm

Well I live really close to it and have been debating if it would be possible. I all terrain kiteboard and the winds are perfect onshore. There is usually good wind and enough to bring my 2.4 meter trainer kite to pull me over 15 mph on my mountain board... I have only ever seen one kiteboarder in there before. But I see windsurfers all of the time. Yes there is a sea plane runway, but usually the winds are pretty strong. Although I think Richardsons bay is only 4 feet deep.

TheMoniker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheMoniker » Sun May 11, 2008 10:57 pm

i suppose i could take my little trainer kite and paddle out on my 9ft surfboard and see if it will pull me along... if i run into problems, just reel in my kite and paddle back to shore. do you know if theres any beach access without rocks?

downhiller
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by downhiller » Mon May 12, 2008 9:05 am

um, well where are you? Do you know where blackies pasture is? Well there is this little beach right there and you can walk out a little. There is some rocks so make sure that you are not so close to the shore. Good luck with the paddle board...

glenn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by glenn » Tue May 13, 2008 9:56 am

Downhiller,
I'm impressed with your enthusiam for kiting - you've been thinking about Richardson Bay for a while. Hate to rain on your parade, but I don't think Richardson will work out to be very good kiting - the wind shadow is way to big and the racoon straight currents are narly.
Just another year until your driver's licence - I look forward to meeting you at some of the world class kiting locations around the Bay. I'm envious of kids like you who are stoked on kiting at a young age - you'll have endless amounts of fun. Just keep on saving your dough for kites and GAS!!