A Tale

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
charlie
Old School
Old School
A Tale

Post by charlie » Sat May 15, 2004 7:22 pm

"Tales from the Bay"

A couple weeks ago following my buddy Ollie, I happened upon the scene that was very euphoric. I had followed him out to his lordships and then over to Emeryville, and then up to the hole in the pier, where I watched him boost a fat one, and then charge through the gap in the pier like it was nobodys business, all I can think of was that pier will eat you up if you make a mistake.
But it didn't, and he ripped out toward the circle and enjoyed some higher winds and bigger swell as I watched from the safety of the Berkeley side. After that he came back over and we went up toward TI; we had spent some time over by the toll plaza which was a ball. Ollie had to finish his session by himself as I went as far as I could, or would go...

Yesterday I had the pleasure of watching several people, all good kiters, charge through the hole in the pier. They charged out to the circle proper and spent quite a bit of time playing in the goodwinds there. As the wind at the put-in died, I wondered what would become of the kiters.

Today, I started the same adventure following Ollie up to the hole in the pier. When I blew my main bladder had to retreat back to the safety of the beach. As I stood around the beach landing people launching people, I was wondering whatever happened to Ollie. I noticed two kites up by treasure Island, and I believe that Ollie hooked up with Chip and they both came back to of frontage road late that afternoon with big smiles across their faces. I could see them up their jumping and ripping around having a ball!

About three years ago, I only saw one kite out in the middle of the bay, it was a fixed wing kite. Ridden by a gentlemen named Bard with a huge carbon fiber single waterski. Seems to me, I wouldn't see more than one or two of these kites around Berkeley or Richmond now I see 10, or 15. Makes me wonder what next year will bring.
Seems to me the kiters are starting to keep pace with the wind surfers. Next year, maybe there will be more kiters then wind surfers, will see only time will tell.

Charlie

Tales from the Bay

Post by Guest » Wed May 19, 2004 11:00 pm

What's your point man?

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Thu May 20, 2004 6:19 am

I LIKE TO KITE
and you?