Early wind alert!!!!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
zgur
Resident
Resident
Early wind alert!!!!

Post by zgur » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:43 pm

To all the wind starved junkies, like me....I've been scanning the forecast pages looking for a glimmer of hope from all this rain and zero wind.....and found it on a weather discussion page:

"THE 12Z EURO AND UK BOTH DEPICT A WELL DEFINED REX BLOCK OVER THE WRN U.S. AT 12Z WED WITH OUR DISTRICT IN THE MIDDLE BETWEEN A 500 MB RIDGE OVER THE PACIFIC NW AND A CUTOFF LOW OVER THE DESERT SW."

What this means is high pressure to the Northwest of us and low pressure in the Southwest: air moves from high to low and creates FUN!!!!! In the spring the creates very windy conditions on the coast and 3rd.

Keep in mind this forecast is for WED of next week: accuracy is far from assured. In any event, make sure your gear is in your vehicle and your schedules are pretty clear........

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:13 pm

RIGHT....GOTIT
thanks for the heads up zee
iam loading up now.
charlie

Fester
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

wind

Post by Fester » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:37 pm

Does that include Bodega Bay?

zgur
Resident
Resident

Bodega and forecast

Post by zgur » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:37 pm

If the forecast delivers on the promise, the coast will rock from Bodega down to Monterey........But you know how forecasts are....kind of like women - they change a lot.....and you can always find a positive side ;-)

jstjohn3
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

C'mon Baby!!

Post by jstjohn3 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:22 am

I'm stuffing the Civic in the morning!

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: C'mon Baby!!

Post by OliverG » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:34 am

jstjohn3 wrote:I'm stuffing the Civic in the morning!
John John, what's happening? Sounds like you're starting to think about kiting!

Donna
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Donna » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:38 pm

Yes, we do change a lot...the baby's diapers, because he doesn't want to, the trash can liner, because he doesn't see the necessity when he can compact all the trash down with his foot one more time, the toilet paper roll, oh, there is one thing a guy changes a lot...the T.V. channels with the remote control...and yes, I do have a sense of humor.
:) D

whitecap

thanks...got it

Post by whitecap » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:43 am

Say Zeev...just came across this forum....Nice prediction for 2/23...given on 2/18..It looked like the south coast was on...did you get some?

crissy yesterday was cold, but sweet....powered 12 south tower butter..

Bob

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:50 am

Bob, did you see the Marin IJ article on you and your family?

zgur
Resident
Resident

getting some

Post by zgur » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:30 am

Bob - yes I did. It was such a bonus sesh, as I had tons of stuff to do and was not sure about investing the gas $$+time. When I got to waddell it was fully cloudy and glassy - great for surfing, shitty for me. I did not give up.

Was rewarded with solid power on 12m for 3 blissful hours. Waves ranging form shoulder to a few feet oh. It was a very nice NW ground swell: easy to read, 4 wave sets, with the 4th wave being a sweet mother. Never more then 8 kites in the air - and in this riding spot, you can't have too many people w/out comprimising the experience. All riders were experienced, which made for a nice circular flow and a bro vibe. Everyone got lots of waves. The new caution kites look sick.

The lighting of the day was very special too....the fog bank was further in then usual - on your out tack, you would ride into the gray clouds and the water looked grey and steel colored. After the transition, you would enter the sun again into yello/warm light and water became gree and alive w/energy. As you made your screaming bottom turns, you would go into the shade of the wave that was standing up. The quite darkness would be broken only by the sound of your heart in your throat, your board cutting through the butter, your wake hitting the butter and then a thunder of white water. Fucking sick!!!! The cliffs were a beautiful brown w/lots of gree due to early spring.

The water quality in the critical wave section was insane butter...made the rail to rail transitions feel sublime....it really helped as I fet a bit rusty for the first 10 waves. This was my first "real" wave sesh of 2005 - powered, down the line riding and lip smakcing good.

It was one of those sessions that will last a lifetime in my head.

"sometimes the light all shining on me.....
"Other times I can barely see..." GD