Get your gear ready!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
pipedragon
Regular
Regular
Get your gear ready!

Post by pipedragon » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:44 pm

Get your gear ready. It looks like the weather could be changing either later today or early tommorow bringing some strong winds to Alameda and the entire bay. Not gaurenteeing anything as it may just blow all night like it tends to do sometimes. Just keep your options open for later today and tommorow moring. I will definitly post if it is time to head to the beach. Right now I gotta setup my lines while it has stopped raining.

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:45 am

You are damn so right. THANK YOU! I wonder if it continues to blow like this. I also see the onshakyground thing is not reading as ikitesurf. any local actual wind report:???? I'm heading over there but take me 1 hour. Please blow more.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:29 am

I got a "hall pass" for a bit this morning, so I'm going to check it out before it starts raining. I guess I'll get going here soon...

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:35 am

I'm leaving to drive down now.

- Josh

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:59 am

It's on ya'll. Looks like a good 17mph. Should make for some fun. I will get to use my new pump today. Yeah!!! See you at the beach!!!

marin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marin » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:01 am

Is it blowing offshore?

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:28 pm

marin wrote:Is it blowing offshore?
It was kind of on shore from the south. If you did not hit it you did not miss much. It was kind of flukey up and down wind. We were able to ride for a while but it was definitly not the best conditions. Felt good to at least be on a board under a kite again. 8)

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:13 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm glad I had a chance to put some faces to names. Hope everyone had a good time, I know I did.

Hope to be out there with you soon.

Cheers,
Josh

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:14 pm

I got there early today and we all waited for a while for the wind, about an hour and a half or two hours as it started very light. After a while, when some were considering packing it up, including myself, the wind came up a little and seemed strong. I promptly launched and went out on the water. Prospects were good it seemed, but I was heading downwind a bit. I wasn't really worried about it as the wind seemed pretty good so I just figured I'd do a few tacks to get back up. Mistake!

I got caught on a big hole downwind and dropped the kite - I'm still getting used to the Rage II's and the CC bar, so maybe my control wasn't 100% in light condittions. Anyway, kite went down, wind was light and I was heading downwind toward the marina and the big steel pylons. Not good. I managed to swim to the right a bit and was heading into the rock jetty in front of the marina and when I was on the verge of pulling my safety I was able to relaunch the kite with no time to spare. I dragged in the the rock jetty, and managed to climb up the rocks with the kite in the air, still retaining my board and drop the kite in the still water on the other side of the lagoon. My feet got a bit scraped up from the rocks and barnacles, but the gear was all OK. By the time I got back to the launch, the wind was better, but I was done as i had to be leaving soon anyway. The low point was definitely handling the kite overhead with the board in one hand while walking/crawling over slippery barnacle rocks. One bad move and it could have been nasty.

That's the way it goes sometimes! After countless good sessions, I guess you have to pay your dues and take one for the team every once in a while. :-s

consumer
Regular
Regular

Post by consumer » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:52 pm

i was dead set on not kiting for the day since it looked like it was going to stay on trek with lame light winds.

anyway im talking with jjm and someone else who was on an X4(apologies for forgetting your name if you told it to me), anyway as we talk i felt this strong gust and he asked for a launch immediately. It started slamming and i knew i had to get dressed and launch, which i did, and it was amazing im so in love with alameda, what a beautiful spot. I was incredibly WOUND on my 16 for about 20 minutes at one point.

Ollie you sacrificed yourself for our great session, thank you.