Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
Do you mean this place:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&g ... &z=14&om=1
According to the map Lake Van Norden in Summit Valley.
This new topo is nice to find locations.
Yep thats the one... and yeah.. Google ROCKS!
I used it to make an cool interactive map of our Costa Rica Kite trip
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... e&z=5&om=1
My Photography ==> http://www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: 2013 Razor
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: 5' 7" Surf, Mikes Lab Raceboard, Mako 140cm, Naish 5' 4"
Wetsuit:Hyperflex: AMP 5/3MM Fullsuit
Harness:Ocean Rodeo: Sessions2
Man we just got back from Tahoe snowkiting. After driving all around south lake, we all decided not to try it out of fear of the 85mph gusts.
Actually it was pretty weak but finally got to ride for a few minutes in Tahoe Keys. Gabe, you were right-- it ain't the delta SW. Launch kite, loop it to get going, ride for a few seconds, wind dies, kite falls. Repeat. I miss my Sherman sessions.
Team rider for Sheldon Kiteboarding and North
Hello All, we had the same kind of experience as Dave had snowkiting yesterday at Mt. Rose Meadows (North Lake Tahoe). We waited for the wind from 11am - 3pm... and managed to get up and going for a minute at a time in the mini puffs on our 10m and 8m kites Although there was enough snow coverage, we were quite surprised at how small the meadow is. Take a look at the pic below.
We were going to attempt more snowkiting today but as Dave mentioned was fearing those gusts...
Yet another unsuccessful snowkiting experience in Tahoe....
85mph gusts... more like 8.5mph gusts!!!
What a teaser session today! We find this sweet spot next to the Tahoe Keys Marina and both Dave and myself got our kites launched, but the winds couldn't have been more uncoopertive. It was Dave's first time flying a foil (good job btw), so he struggled a little more. I think Dave would of had a better experience if we had swiched kites... me at 150lbs on a 12m foil vs. Dave at 170+ on a 10m foil. I got up and got in a few good rides, but they were about 3-5 transitions at best before the kite stalled and dropped.
I heard the kiting the beach area along the lake near the TK Marina is awesome when the snow coverage is good and the wind is blowin' in the right direction. We scoped out the beach area and with a little more snow, it looks to be a perfect snowkite spot and the lake view is priceless.
Overall it was great gettin' out there today regardless of the lack of good wind. Great hangin' with Dave and John as well. Looking forward to tryin' again soon.
The Keys is notoriously a gusty crappy wind spot. Across the meadow at Reagan beach is where we usually hike out and launch. Doesn't sound like there was much wind down low yesterday.
The 85 mph gusts were forecast for the ridge tops and it's pretty common up there to have at least that. Typically on those type of days you'll get moments of glory down in the valley but nothing sustainable.
Like I've said over the last couple years. Tahoe is a hard place to get snowkiting unless you live there. I travel to Utah and hook up with Jeff http://snowkiteutah.net several times a winter to get my jones on...pretty much gauranteed fun!
sometimes Gary Bronson...
No wind at all down low! I think Tahoe Meadows would of possibly been the best spot yesturday.
As far as kiting the Keys... I've heard some good things about snowkiting the TK from some locals that live near there, but I've heard that the water kiting there is poor.
My way of maximizing my chances of good snowkiting is to never go to Tahoe with plans to only snowkite. I approach evey trip with the intentions of kiting, but focus on hitting the backcountry or hitting the ski resort as the prime reason for making the trip. The days when I've got up there and could see for myself that the conditions were prime have lended to best snowkite sessions in the past. You just have to bring all your snow toys!
I'm headin' to Skyline and stayin' with Jeff in late January, so I'm hoping to get some good days in. I'm prayin' there's no "inversion layer" occuring there like last season... it completely killed the wind and UT's famous snow conditions for well over two weeks.
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/20 ... -air_x.htm
http://saltlakecity.about.com/cs/weathe ... ersion.htm
Anyway to predict 3 to 4 weeks out if there will be a inversion layer in Utah? I was thinking of going out there as well a little later. This is the first time I hear about no wind Skyline...
Good luck with a forecast like that. The NWS forecasted 15-25 in Tahoe yesterday and we got 5-10. Similar overestimate at Waddell today. When booking your trip, I think you have to ask yourself: "do you feel lucky?""
Team rider for Sheldon Kiteboarding and North
I thought I'd use the same title...
Tomorrow looks like it could be the day for some good snowkiting. There's a weak low pressure front up north that should bring some wind to the Tahoe area. I'm kinda torn on which shore to go session, but I'm thinking Tahoe Meadows, but if Grass Lake is goin off, I'd rather be there. If the wind doesn't blow or it's crazy strong and gusty, then there's always plan B... lots of snow to play on. I may bring my splitboard as my plan B.
Don't forget that next weekend is the TMS snowkite demo at Tahoe Meadows and also Snowdaze snowkite event up in Mt. Shasta.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest