Ollie writing for the mag!?!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
KillaHz
Resident
Resident
Ollie writing for the mag!?!

Post by KillaHz » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:04 pm

Rumor has it that Ollie is writing an article for The Kiteboarder Magazine next issue. It looks like he may even have a permanent column in the mag.

For those of you who don't know the history of The Kiteboarder Magazine, it was started by Ryan Riccitelli (the former Editor of Kiteboarding Magazine) about 8 months ago. When Ryan left Kiteboarding magazine, I filled his spot for 4 issues but it was just to tempting to work for a magazine with actual kiteboarders creating content for kiteboarders. I eventually left Kiteboarding Magazine to work for The Kiteboarder.

I came on board for issue #3

As you can see, I pushed for a snow cover for our winter issue and that's what you got. This is what makes working with a smaller team so great. We print what we want to print and what we think you want us to print. This brings me to a good point. Go to The Kiteboarder Magazine Web Site and tell us what you want us to print.

Our circulation is rapidly approaching that of Kiteboarding Magazine and we left SBC in the dust a while back. As the Underdog and the New kids on the block, it can sometimes be hard to get advertisers to change their ways. While we have enough advertisers to sustain our magazine...it would be nice to get the support of the entire industry. We want to make a magazine that really incompasses everything and everybody. The best way for us to do this is to get the magazine out to as many people as possible.

So, if you like the magazine go to http://www.kbmag.com/store.asp and subscribe. If you're not sure, grab a free trial subscription from the same place and receive our next issue free with no obligation to continue. Thhe magazine is also available in a free pdf download if you missed it.

If you have not got your copy of WindReels Volume 1 yet, we have a special offer that includes a year subscription and a copy of the video.

So go tell us what you want to read, where you want to see and if you like what we're doing...show us your support with a subscription.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:26 pm

One year subscription and the Windreels video for $34.99? Not too shabby at all! :P

Fyi, the video's excellent so for those of you who haven't seen it yet, this is a good excuse to take them up on that offer.

Check out the Windreels Review here.

consumer
Regular
Regular

Post by consumer » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:45 pm

i very selfishly want to see more spots around the world,

i LOVE reading about spots with awesome wind and great conditions and shots of it, i usually spend like 30-45 minutes a day just immersed in a new area of the world just by chance, i think i love Western Aus the best but i rarely get any info on it, it seems so detatched and that ofcourse adds to the appeal.

i also want to see more on sherman island, just because i hurt for the tules realllllly bad, but im sure there are many who would disagree because people dont like their spot being publicized and so on.

Oh yea, gear updates and description of gear is definitely cool, like last issue you had all the bars laid out and their features, must be a lot of work to tabulate it, but its really useful and i archive these for future use.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:51 pm

Ollie writing for a mag?? Wow and I remember his first posts on ikitesurf. He out grew that and put his enegry into this forum. Now it looks like this forum can't contain him.
Dewey

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:50 pm

I gotta' funny story to tell you guys...
Go bigga'

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:19 pm

fearlu wrote:I gotta' funny story to tell you guys...
Uh-oh.... =D>

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:00 pm

dewey wrote:Ollie writing for a mag?? Wow and I remember his first posts on ikitesurf. He out grew that and put his enegry into this forum. Now it looks like this forum can't contain him.
Well, if I can add my $.02 a little bit here and there and few people enjoy or benefit from it, that's enough for me. They might throw my draft in the wastebasket too, so we'll see. O:)

As far as the forum, I just wanted to create something that everyone could be a part of in many different ways and I think more people are starting to see that. We're not a commercial site, but donate ads to support the community and to those that help support the site in other ways. As far as money goes, the other forums take it, we don't.

I hope this year will bring more growth and it's already showing signs that it will. What does that mean to the users? Fun, sponsored organized events, functions and contests with prizes, and more unity within the kiteboarding community here in the SF Bay Area - all cool stuff that benefits all of us! We're still trying to get some local "constituencies", and local site-specific communities onboard, and some changes in the near future will likely help us achieve that.

Personally, I can't wait for the weather to get better, the winds to come into effect and bring us what will hopefully be an 8 month season - March through October!

Cheers,
Ollie
Last edited by OliverG on Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:12 pm

Hey Ollie,

Congrats on your upcoming article.

It's a strange feeling, I've only been following this scene for a short time, and after reading a couple editions of the kiteboarder magazine I've seen pictures and articles written by people I've met, seen pictures of people I've seen in person, or read on various kiteboarding forums. That's pretty cool.

I really appreciate all the hard work you have put into the forum, and hope it continues to grow! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

- Josh

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:23 pm

jjm wrote:Hey Ollie,

Congrats on your upcoming article.

It's a strange feeling, I've only been following this scene for a short time, and after reading a couple editions of the kiteboarder magazine I've seen pictures and articles written by people I've met, seen pictures of people I've seen in person, or read on various kiteboarding forums. That's pretty cool.

I really appreciate all the hard work you have put into the forum, and hope it continues to grow! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

- Josh
Wow, where have you been hanging out? It sounds like you're getting an "immersion" curriculum for the sport. I think you're going to do well once you start getting out on the water with a board!

Ollie

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:53 am

consumer wrote:i very selfishly want to see more spots around the world,

i LOVE reading about spots with awesome wind and great conditions and shots of it, i usually spend like 30-45 minutes a day just immersed in a new area of the world just by chance, i think i love Western Aus the best but i rarely get any info on it, it seems so detatched and that ofcourse adds to the appeal.

i also want to see more on sherman island, just because i hurt for the tules realllllly bad, but im sure there are many who would disagree because people dont like their spot being publicized and so on.

Oh yea, gear updates and description of gear is definitely cool, like last issue you had all the bars laid out and their features, must be a lot of work to tabulate it, but its really useful and i archive these for future use.
Good comments....some of them I'm right there with you on. You should really go to the website www.kbmag.com and fill out the survey with these comments...that way it goes right to the editor. Our Gear Guide is coming out in a month...22 pages of new product with no straight from the manufacturer hype. We are working on a list of what's new and What's hot.

Send your comments on the mag to our Editor...www.kbmag.com
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...