RIDING TO THE NEXT LEVEL - A Retreat

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
ricki
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
RIDING TO THE NEXT LEVEL - A Retreat

Post by ricki » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:59 am

Tired of snow, can't wait for spring and the kiting season to start? Are you starting to feel horse with it all?

Then there's good news for you ...

BaseOne Presents KeysKiteRetreat

Come to the Florida Keys for kiteboarding IMMERSION to boost your riding to the next level. You will return to your home launch knowing more and riding stronger than at the end of last season. All this before your local kiting season gets into full swing! Head Coach Shannon Best focused and riding hard. *

In the USA, just head southeast to the Keys for warmer winds, sun and hot riding.

Take it down to Islamorada. All those hundreds of square miles of riding grounds. We're talking massive calmer water riding areas sheltered by the reef tract miles offshore to the east in the Florida Straits and thousands of islands and sand bars to the west in Florida Bay.

Checkout your multimillion dollar beachfront home with 4 to 6 other stoked riders during the All-Inclusive retreat. Feel free to leave your kite gear at home as NEW 2005 equipment will be provided for you to test. No stressing about kite sizes and gear to bring as a complete quiver will be available. You will be plyed with outstanding meals cooked 3 to 4 times per day by a Professional Chef.

Get ready to rip across the flats and throw down sick moves. Each day you will work one on one with outstanding coaches including Shannon Best, Clinton Bolton and Jay Stevens. A few hours each day will be focused on discussion and demonstrations with the balance spent shredding on insane downwinders with coaches and retreat riders. Chase boat, waverunner and SUVs on land will be there to provide the return trip home. *

Wind down in the lap pool and checkout the sunset across the Straits.

What are these guys looking out? Why, the riding grounds just a few steps out the back door off of a sand beach, see below. *

The view out your back door. This is what almost 20 mph side onshore winds looks like here, CALM WATER!
For full size CLICK HERE

Get ready to pass into the next level of riding.*

A view of the launch and private beach house, calm, shallow and FAST. (The beach is straight not bent as shown in the panoramic image.)
For full size CLICK HERE
Shannon and the team of pro coaches will accelerate you through kite progression as you fly through the retreat.

Shannon slides ... *

Want to checkout kickers and sliders with expert coaching to send you on your way? BaseOne has you covered with waterpark toys right outside your door. The kickers going off at the 2004 Islamorada Invitational.

You can checkout those incredible Keys sunsets and swap stories about the day's riding.

A singular local spot for drinks and food with a prime view of those incredible Keys sunsets just across HWY 1 on Florida Bay.
For full size CLICK HERE

Retreats are scheduled to run Friday through Monday on:
April 1 through 4
April 8 through 11
April 15 through 18

Or hang with the Pros during the Islamorada Invitational
April 20 through 24 . More about the Invitational at Sevensports.com and The FKA Website

Want to know more?
Get in touch with Karen at OzoneTravel.com
for Retreat booking information at:
Karen@ozonetravel.com .

Karen is your expert source for kiteboarding
travel to wind destinations worldwide.

Islamorada Invitational 2004

The four day retreats will include lodging, gear, food and coaching.

Reservations and information through
Karen at OzoneTravel.com
at: Karen@ozonetravel.com

Photo credit to BaseOne for images marked with *

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:59 pm

Looks nice, wish I could go! Hopefully we'll have some good winds here in our little spots by that time!

ricki
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ricki » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:23 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:Looks nice, wish I could go! Hopefully we'll have some good winds here in our little spots by that time!
Me too, I normally stay at more modest digs. I drove through Islamorada coming up from Key West last weekend and was able to shoot some of the photos around sunset. It is a nice looking area. Then again from what I see from aerials and other images you folks have no shortage of great looking areas out your way. April is moving on in the year and hopefully your seaon will be cranking by then.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:18 pm

ricki wrote:
BayAreaKite wrote:Looks nice, wish I could go! Hopefully we'll have some good winds here in our little spots by that time!
Me too, I normally stay at more modest digs. I drove through Islamorada coming up from Key West last weekend and was able to shoot some of the photos around sunset. It is a nice looking area. Then again from what I see from aerials and other images you folks have no shortage of great looking areas out your way. April is moving on in the year and hopefully your seaon will be cranking by then.
Rick,

Nor Cal is awesome, but we have nothing tropical like that. There's a lot for us to enjoy here year-round, but many of us dream of kiting in tropical locations like that with warm breezes and clear butter water! To able to take a little trip locally and drive through all that is probably pretty cool. Summer is not the best for you guys there? Is that the off season or am I mistaken?

ricki
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ricki » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:14 am

BayAreaKite wrote:
ricki wrote:
Rick,

Nor Cal is awesome, but we have nothing tropical like that. There's a lot for us to enjoy here year-round, but many of us dream of kiting in tropical locations like that with warm breezes and clear butter water! To able to take a little trip locally and drive through all that is probably pretty cool. Summer is not the best for you guys there? Is that the off season or am I mistaken?
Touring through California is on my list to be sure. To date, my whole experience with your great state was inside the terminal of LAX on the way to kiteboard in Maui several years ago.

Yes, summer usually is our off season here. Normally the most useable winds are thermal afternoon winds which are strangely absent or diminished in some years. The are frequently followed by thunderstorms, sometimes violent ones, in the afternoon. Then there are the tropical weather systems, (tropical waves through hurricanes) with the ready potential of embedded, violent and hazardous squalls. These are some seriously dangerous conditions to go out in with a parachute like device tied to you possibly as big as a station wagon.

The best time of year for us typically is when the cold fronts bring stronger winds through. This has varied a LOT over the last five years. I have been saying this year has been more typical unlike several of the preceeding years. I would say our best month may be March with November through the first half of May often delivering good winds with intermittant cold fronts.