Bay Area Swap Meet?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:49 pm

So 3/13 at noon? Here is my questions though. I have a 2001 (i think) old not new but still perfectly usable Wipika Free Air 9.6m kite and and picklefolk slingshot board (147 cm) I want to sell, but as you all know, these are pretty old and I do not intend to sell it as to get back my money to buy my new gear or whatever. I just don't have much storage available and I can only own what I need. What would you do just sell it really cheap or store them forever? Or does anyone want to rent it from me??? (No liability please.) or some professional repair kiter can use it as to fix someone's kite?

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:33 pm

Sell them cheap. $150 each. Someone will buy it. I've seen guys on new 2000 kites at Rio last year after they took some lessons. We think it's crap, but a newbe will love it. I did tell the guys that their instructor screwed them. $400 - 500 for 4 year old kites?? For $150 is a different story.
Dewey

Live2KITE
Regular
Regular

Post by Live2KITE » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:58 pm

Hana wrote:So 3/13 at noon? Here is my questions though. I have a 2001 (i think) old not new but still perfectly usable Wipika Free Air 9.6m kite and and picklefolk slingshot board (147 cm) I want to sell, but as you all know, these are pretty old and I do not intend to sell it as to get back my money to buy my new gear or whatever. I just don't have much storage available and I can only own what I need. What would you do just sell it really cheap or store them forever? Or does anyone want to rent it from me??? (No liability please.) or some professional repair kiter can use it as to fix someone's kite?
Hana,
We have gathered a number of old gear in the past and donate it to local kids at the hot riding locations, such as Cabarete, Baja, and recently Maldives. Brings Karma points and clears out storage space.
I know of others in this list who have done similar donations.
Ciao,
Evan - Live2KITE

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:19 pm

Evan,

That's a great idea. I'm sure there are some people here who have all kinds of old gear that they don't know what to do with and might be too old to bother trying to sell for much locally. Maybe as part of the (hopefully) upcoming swap meet, people can donate any old stuff like that and we can forward it to you for donation abroad.

Cheers,
Oliver

Live2KITE
Regular
Regular

Post by Live2KITE » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:45 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:Evan,

That's a great idea. I'm sure there are some people here who have all kinds of old gear that they don't know what to do with and might be too old to bother trying to sell for much locally. Maybe as part of the (hopefully) upcoming swap meet, people can donate any old stuff like that and we can forward it to you for donation abroad.

Cheers,
Oliver
Each one of us, everytime we travel to other parts of the world (mostly these rainy/windless times of the year) we can get some extra old gear and donate to the locals. It brings tons of joy to the local kids who most of the times can only look at us kite all day!
Just make sure that proper instructions are provided also. Usually the local schools can help with the donation effort etc.
I'd be happy to help - hope to be around during 3/13 so I can also participate. I have collected so much gear through the years (and stocked tons of 2004 goodies) that I will need a truck to move things over.
Have we decided on the location yet?
Cheers to all for the effort.
Evan - Live2KITE

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:50 pm

Evan,

Long time no see. Can you please bring back the wind??? :yawinkle: I think it's really a great idea donating it. I also have little spare parts that someone can utilize them. I'll talk to you at the swap meet, wherever that's happening.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:53 pm

Live2KITE wrote: Have we decided on the location yet?
Cheers to all for the effort.
Evan - Live2KITE
Hopefully I'll have more info as soon as tomorrow on a suitable spot. Alameda is out due to special permit and insurance requirements. It's amazing that they'll let dozens and dozens of people kiteboard there, but can't have a swap meet without tons of red tape. Oh well, no worries, we'll come up with something.