Sea Ranch Question

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
jbirdmarin
Regular
Regular
Sea Ranch Question

Post by jbirdmarin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:41 pm

Hi folks - I lived here (SF/Marin/Santa Cruz) most of my life as a surfer, then moved to Hawaii 7 years ago where I picked up kiting in Kailua on a daily basis for the past few years. We just moved back to Marin in July and I've kited in Larkspur and OB, but then Winter hit.

Anyway, we have a family event for 4 days in Sea Ranch coming up at the end of Feb. Wind permitting, is it safe up there? Should I get my hopes up or just wait until Spring in the SF? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jbird.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:54 am

I kited at the private beach at Irish Beach before and had a good session during NW winds in March before. There aren't too many beaches up there, but there is the beach at Sea Ranch also, so if you've got solid NW wind, and kiting skills are solid, it's possible. Just make sure it's windy enough and skills are up to par so you can stay upwind and don't end up downwind because most of the beaches on the North Coast are smaller and rocks and cliffs lie downwind.