Valentine Snow Kiting at Tahoe

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular
Valentine Snow Kiting at Tahoe

Post by andyandmarlys » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:10 am

The forecast looks like Sunday and Monday are going to be windy at Tahoe.... Marlys and I are headed up today and will be there Sunday and Monday...

I'd be really interested in meeting up with anyone to go riding...

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:25 am

Looks like today is a Grass Lake day. Not good enough snow in town...too much wind up high.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:45 am

marlys and i are at the base of heavenly now and it is pretty calm. are you headed out soon? any help on where grasslake is or any sensors to check? i can research.... but i am currently using my cellphone...so any help is appreciated

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:56 am

is this place 6.6 miles up 89?

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:16 am

andyandmarlys wrote:is this place 6.6 miles up 89?
You may want to confirm this, but these should be the directions.

Where To Start: From South Lake Tahoe, to get to Luther Pass (Highway 89), drive west on US 50 from the "Y" and turn left on Highway 89 towards Hope Valley and Kirkwood Ski Resort. Follow 89 up towards Luther Pass until it flattens out at Grass Lake. Park in the large turn-out on the right side of the road and ski down to the lake. During snow removal conditions, it may be illegal to park along this road.

I went with a group of people either to Grass Lake or Hope Valley, not sure. I purchased a snow park permit at the Chevron in Meyers. Not sure if you need one at this location, but it was only like $4 or 5.

Not sure if you can see images on your cell phone, but here is a map I found. #2 is Grass Lake.

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:36 am

Thanks alot.... The map is a big help.... I think we will be there around 10:30-11ish...

Since I have never been there, or snowkited... Are there any hazards I should know about at this site?

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:03 am

I'm not even sure I went to that location, and don't kite yet, so can't really comment on hazards. Actually, it must have been the other area because I think I had to get off 89.

I guess one thing I've read is that you need less kite on snow than you would on water, so keep that in mind.

Other than that, KillaHz/Gabe would be the guy to talk to. If you were so inclined, you could probably figure out a way to get in touch with him on his website, which should also be easy to fnd. I don't know if it's appropriate to call asking for advice without being expected, that's your call :)

Also, Lake Tahoe Kiteboarding offers lessons in the area. They might be more open to people calling for advice? www.laketahoekiteboarding.com, or www.ltkb.com.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:57 am

Sorry been running errands all morning. getting something to eat now ans then will likely head up to Grass Lake. Looks like it's cranking up there. Park basically at the middle of the lake. The biggest pullout. Then walk a ways out onto the lake. You will know you are in the right place if you see the big jump we built. That is about where you want to launch. Obstacles?...just fly with a leash and everything will be ok. It's going to be quite gusty today so watch out. I should be there by about noon.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:04 pm

we are just leaving town now.... i brought a 12m foil and a 9 and 13 fuel..... hope its not too windy

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:48 pm

welll.. i went kiting today at grasslake... very gusty... but i kited on my 13 and 9 ss fuels.... they fell alot... but so did others with foils....relaunching wasnt as bad as i thought it might be... pretty easy water to snow transition..... looking for another spot with better wind for tomorrow