Itching to take lessons -- take snow kite lessons?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin
Itching to take lessons -- take snow kite lessons?

Post by jjm » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:45 pm

So I think I'm as obsessed as you guys must be with kite boarding, but I really haven't even done it yet. I got a chance to tool around on a skateboard, but even then only twice, and got in trouble the first time...

I'm really itching to get going and take a lesson. I think Blair, or someone I talked to on the first ozone dealy that learning on snow would be easier than on the water.

I'm wondering what you guys think about this. Should I take a land based lesson up in the tahoe area? I found www.ltkb.com. I'm wondering if this might be a bit cheaper, and give me an advantage to get going quicker on a water based lesson?

A lot of what I've read as far as water lesson plans is to get you body dragging down/up wind and then if you're lucky get a little board start practice. By taking a lesson on the snow and hopefully getting some board time, do you think that would let me get some real board time on the water on a 2nd or maybe 3rd lesson?

Gabe, if you're reading this, can you recommend either LTKB, or another outfit?

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:35 pm

Hello,

LTKB is the outfit. If you book with them, you will either get Graham who is a great instructor or myself (I'm not bad either).

We have been getting newbies up and riding all winter...quite a few in the last month. The only difference I would say is that we won't be teaching you water relaunch techniques. We have built in systems that allow you to relaunch on snow...some of these work on water as well. It' s a little harder to fly a kite up here in the thin air, so if you learn here, it will be cake when you get to steady thicker wind.

That said, you probably want a short lesson when the winter is over also. Graham I'm sure would accomodate that down in the delta once you have been dialed in on the snow. Give him a call.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:46 pm

There you go, you now have the option to bump up your learning curve and get a head start on the upcoming season. :)

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:15 pm

So Gabe, is it $175 for introduction lesson? Are you comfortable answering questions, or should I call Graham?

I usually stay up in Truckee, but might be on the south shore in early March. Is the wind consistent, or is it a roll of the dice?

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:53 pm

jjm wrote:So Gabe, is it $175 for introduction lesson? Are you comfortable answering questions, or should I call Graham?

I usually stay up in Truckee, but might be on the south shore in early March. Is the wind consistent, or is it a roll of the dice?
You should call graham. He does most of the lessons and all the bookings. I just teach when he can't.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...