Will I be sitting around waiting for the right conditions?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin
Will I be sitting around waiting for the right conditions?

Post by jjm » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:33 pm

So I purchased a V4 12m awhile back. Just curious how people have or would deal with only having a single kite. I guess I jumped the gun on getting a new kite, was originally planning on buying used when people dumped their kites for this seasons. I guess I misjudged the situation. ANYWAY no regrets, pretty happy with my purchase.

One of the things that I was a little dissapointed with was that the V4 package contents tags on the outside of the bag said that there were 20m + 7m extension lines. I was hoping that this would give me the option of a larger wind range. As a beginner, maybe having to lessen line length to 20m on a 12m means I shouldn't be on the water anyway?

Anyway, what do you guys think? With a single board (size to be determined), and a single 12m kite, at 180lbs, will I be missing out on a bunch of sessions waiting for the wind to pick up or die down, or should I be able to get a fair amount of time in this summer? I plan on spending most of my time at Alameda because it seems to be the most beginer friendly site? From what I've read, the wind is not as strong at Alameda and generally people are on larger kites? With that in mind, was the 12m a bad choice?

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:57 pm

well since youre just learning how to fly the kite nad probably just barely plane up, youre about the same weight as me, and in the bay a 12m is pretty much all you need, with the exception of sherman delta daze , but even those are doable on a 12 if i wanted to boost big.

anyway like i was saying if people are staying upwind on 16s or if they are moderately powered on 18s i would say that a 12m for learning wasnt a bad choice at all, try to get a board in the 150 range, if you can lose some pounds that would be ultimately ideal, i mean how tall are you? I'm 5'11" and 175 lbs and im constantly trying to shed any weight i can, which ofcourse can be difficult if you lift because you make heavy muscle, but anyway i babble too much.

i ride a 120 size board 99% of the time, and my main gun is a 13, i used to ride a 12m(HIGH ASPECT) and had a 147 and never found myself at a loss last season, but i didnt ride at alameda, but i also wasnt learning either.

youre probably going have to go one of these routes.
1. learn how to plane up at alameda and the beginnings of going upwind and once you have got that down youre going to have to hit another bay spot with more wind and with good motivation you will either learn to go upwind in that session or die(jokes, im sure you could get kitetopia to take you to kiteopia island).
2. Either augment your 12 quiver with a larger kite, probably 18 or 16, i dont know what alameda calls for, but i do know that relative power of a 16 to a 12 isnt a WORLD of difference.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:11 pm

So this might be a stupid question, but if everyone is out as you say on 16s and 18s, it sounds like planing on a larger board is possible on a smaller kite. What about going up wind in that situation, would it be possible?

Totally arbitrary numbers, but say someone has a range of 12-18 knots on a kite/board combo. Is going up wind more difficult on the upper and lower ranges of a kite?

What kind of angle is one able to get going upwind?

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:26 pm

Hello man, buy a 16m used that you can beat the crap out of at Alameda. I farted around on a 12m at Alameda when I was learning and didn't learn shit until I got on a 16m. Then it was a matter of days before I was at the delta.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:26 pm

On the topic of board size, I was kind of hoping to go shorter and wider rather than longer. I generally like getting equipment that may be a bit too technical, but gives something to grow into. Wondering if this is a pratical move?

Do I have this right?
A long board is easier to get planing on, but more difficult to do tricks and spins due to its size?

A short board is more difficult to get planing on and would require more wind, but allows for more technical riding/tricks?

In choppy water, what performs better? Is a larger board able to cut through the chop, or would it be bouncing around and launching you in the air?

What turns better, allows you to hold an edge better -- short board?

Should I stick with what everyone says and get the larger board, or would a short wide board be best of both worlds?

Ya, I'm 180, I've been working from home, sitting on my ass and not getting out much. I'm working on that. I could probably drop a few pounds when I start doing more active things, but I'm going to assume the worst and figure I'll weight 180 this summer.. heh

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:28 pm

KillaHz wrote:Hello man, buy a 16m used that you can beat the crap out of at Alameda. I farted around on a 12m at Alameda when I was learning and didn't learn shit until I got on a 16m. Then it was a matter of days before I was at the delta.
He's right. The 12m will likely be good in Spring when it can blow pretty good there, but after that you'll be needing the 16. A 16 is a good kite to have anyway, you'll get some use out of it.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:10 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:
KillaHz wrote:Hello man, buy a 16m used that you can beat the crap out of at Alameda. I farted around on a 12m at Alameda when I was learning and didn't learn shit until I got on a 16m. Then it was a matter of days before I was at the delta.
He's right. The 12m will likely be good in Spring when it can blow pretty good there, but after that you'll be needing the 16. A 16 is a good kite to have anyway, you'll get some use out of it.
I'm trying to stick with minimal equipment this season, and maybe get a more complete quiver next season. I wanted to put in a season to verify that I'll stay committed (I don't think that will be a problem!), and to get a feel for what I'm looking for. If I put in some time earlier in the spring where a 12 shoudl be sufficient, what other spots are beginner friendly that will be a bit windy?

I'd like to go to Larkspur because it's convenient?
Rod & Gun isn't suitable for kites?
Is China Camp kiteable?

Assuming average progression, is wave riding feasible in ones first season? Then again, a 12 would probably be too big then right?

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:15 pm

i just ordered a 16m nemesis(used) from best for 250$

Fester
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fester » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:24 pm

You need a boat for larkspur unless you really now what your doing. you can not launch on the prison side , you need to be out in the corta madera estuary.
Bodega bay inside is ok, check the tides, you need high tide.

Look what other people are doing , do not try to reinvent the wheel,

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:52 pm

Anonymous wrote:i just ordered a 16m nemesis(used) from best for 250$
Why? You could've bought my mint crispy new one for only $150 more...

Thanks Best!