Cheap La Ventana Tickets?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cheap La Ventana Tickets?

Post by Loscocco » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:26 pm

What the best place to book tickets and airline for flying to La Paz. I am thinking about going down there at the end of this month. Anyone have any tips for cheap flights?
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

Stefaans
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Stefaans » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:14 am

Best bet is go to kayak.com and see what they have and then book direct with the airline they found otherwise i think Kayak adds a $20 fee. To La Paz would be pretty bad but i just bought tickets to SJD for $299 direct (or actually 1 stop there or back in LA)

funkiatdabeech
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by funkiatdabeech » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:17 pm

yeah, I checked for the last week of Jan and it's sround 600$ round trip....not that cheap damn it.

Stefaans
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Stefaans » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:23 pm

today tickets are $314 to SJD

funkiatdabeech
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by funkiatdabeech » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:52 pm

Oh I see it's really way cheaper to SJD. And it looks like its about 3+ hours drive. How is it? Roads are OK? Or are they all jacked up and full of pot holes like back in my ol' good Ukraine?

EvanOR
Regular
Regular

Post by EvanOR » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:35 pm

I got a ticket in to La Paz out of SFO via Alaska Airlines for under 3 bills, though it is a one way.

Two ways to go from SJD. Stay on the pavements and go via La Paz, or cut through the desert and shorten the drive substantially. The road is unpaved with some heavy washboard action but if you take it easy you should not have a problem.

Last year we decided to blow out of Ventana after a 3 day no-wind stretch and party in Cabo...last minute....needless to say we hit a hole in the road so hard that we blew a hold in the rad and had to be towed out. Late evening in Mex, they dropped the rad, patched the road and has us back on the road in no time at all. We made it Cabo around 11:00 that night, just in time for one of the craziest nights ever....

Cheers,

Evan
Attachments
Cabo Wabo 003.jpg
Cabo Wabo 003.jpg (1.46MiB)Viewed 6262 times

GracieMarie
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Cheap Flights to La Paz

Post by GracieMarie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:03 pm

Hey There,
The cheapest, direct, non-stop flights are from Sacramento to San Jose Del Cabo (SMF TO SJD). Frontier and Mexicana do it all the time. You can take a very economical bus to La Paz or Los Planes from the SJD airport, or you can rent a car.

Renting a super cheap car is not too bad, but the insurance kills ya. Use the insurance provided on your credit cards (check THAT out before you rely on it) and only get Mexican Liability ins.

These flights are usually $300 m=/-, depending on the time of year: Holidays, school breaks, etc.

Another cheap way to get to La Paz is to do the LAX to La Paz (LAP) route. What's a liitle driving? If you're trying to save money, it's either driving in the US, or driving in Baja.

Alsaka, Delta, AeroMexico, Mexicana, etc., have almost daily, direct/non-stop flights from LAX to LAP. If you're driving from N. Cal to LA, the best deal in town is the Holiday Inn Park N Fly at the LAX Holiday Inn. $60-$ 70 room, plus 14 days of free, covered, secure parking. These flights are usually pretty affordable.

Sometimes it's worth it to suck it up and drive to LA for the better deals to La Paz. Remember: it's a couple hours at least from Cabo to La Ventana, so you're either driving in the US or in Mexico.

Sometimes www. orbitz has flight/car combos, and they usually show all the available flights of all airlines, vs. going to each airline's website and sifting through all the timetables.

Good Luck, and happy trails! GM