Trainer time, recommendations on instructional material?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin
Trainer time, recommendations on instructional material?

Post by jjm » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:00 pm

I've been flying my trainer as much as possible. I think I've been running out every time the branches are swaying in a tree behind my house. I'm getting really comfortable flying it, but am wondering if I'm not using the time effeciently and developing bad habits.

I've only flown it maybe 10 times where it was windy enough to park it at the zenith or on the side of the wind window. Usually, I think I'm going out with out enough wind, waiting for a stronger breeze to get it to launch, and then keep it moving and looping it to keep it in the air.

In light wind (can't judge wind speed), should I be able to keep the kite moving on one side of the window? I generally fly it across, and I'm not sure if I'm doing this because I need to, or because it's fun to have the kite yank me around. I think I should stop this as it might be a bad habit, because doing it with a real kite would knock me on my ass, or more likely drag me on my stomach into a rock...

If there is enough wind to launch a kite, it may not be enough to keep it overhead or hovering on the side of the window? This is a matter of physics and not skill, or a combination of both?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:45 pm

Once you start flying a big LEI, you'll right away be able to tell by the feel and power that it generates that you probably won't want to be sweeping it across the window because then it might not be so fun to have it yanking you around like the trainer did.

When you're kiting you'll want to be keeping your kite mostly on the side of the window that corresponds to the direction you're going in. When working the kite to get planing, when underpowered, and when doing jumps and tricks you'll be bringing it back not much more than 2'oclock or so.

In light winds, yes, you can often launch a kite, but keeping it flying sometimes takes some finesse and when the wind's light, you won't want to keep it stationary overhead as the risk of it dropping completely is high. You have to keep it moving and that's when you might fly it across the window back and forth, but only as a measure to keep the kite from dropping.

Do you already have a harness? On a light day you might consider flying the 12 if you have someone who's already experienced with you to keep it safe (important!). That way you can start to get a feel for the bigger kite. Best not to do it alone yet.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:19 pm

Cool, just making sure that not being able to park the kite in light winds is normal!

I haven't gotten a harness yet, and promised wifey that I wouldn't touch the kite until after a lesson!

I have barely taken it out, and already paranoid that I didn't follow the folds and that I'm going to cause it to crease and die.

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:32 pm

after that frist season youll stuff it right back in the bag there!

fly that trainer and let it pull you, let it walk you around and try to feel the points of sail.
then try to redricet (go thr other way).
also sine, sine on both port and stbd sides of the window(make a figure eight ).
charlie

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:02 pm

I forgot to mention anything about instructional materials. The best dvd out there for learning is currently Kitefilm.com's The Complete Guide to Kiteboarding. It's a nice video with an easy pace and approach and is a worthwhile reference and resource for beginner to advanced. You can check the review on it here.

For the money it's a worthwhile investment. I recommended it to one local shop owner as a great tool to suggest to students to buy as a supplement to lessons. Not a substitute, but something to help them absorb all the concepts. Mark Shinn's a good host too.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:16 pm

Something you need to get used to in power kites isÖ power. Like others said, you cannot just move a big kite across the window. If you get enough practice with a powerful trainer, flying the LEI will be almost immediate, it is actually much easier to fly than bridled foils (with the exception of take off). There are less things that you can do with an LEI.
If you want to get better at it, make sure that you know how to:
Turn with brakes
Turn without brakes
Take off and land normally, even in the power zone (this is dangerous, but doable)
Fly backwards, including landing and taking off backwards
Fly on a bar. If you have quad handles and notice that the brake lines are loose, your kite can probably fly without brake lines at all. Just hook the two front lines to a bar. Flying like this is harder (no brakes, forget about reverse take offs) but this is more similar to LEIs.
A big foil can drag you on a mountain board and do some awesome jumps. Once you get used to it you might even decide that you keep this hobby on land. Play safe, crashes on land are painful. If you have knee pads and helmet use them.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:19 pm

Anonymous wrote:Something you need to get used to in power kites isÖ power. Like others said, you cannot just move a big kite across the window. If you get enough practice with a powerful trainer, flying the LEI will be almost immediate, it is actually much easier to fly than bridled foils (with the exception of take off). There are less things that you can do with an LEI.
If you want to get better at it, make sure that you know how to:
Turn with brakes
Turn without brakes
Take off and land normally, even in the power zone (this is dangerous, but doable)
Fly backwards, including landing and taking off backwards
Fly on a bar. If you have quad handles and notice that the brake lines are loose, your kite can probably fly without brake lines at all. Just hook the two front lines to a bar. Flying like this is harder (no brakes, forget about reverse take offs) but this is more similar to LEIs.
A big foil can drag you on a mountain board and do some awesome jumps. Once you get used to it you might even decide that you keep this hobby on land. Play safe, crashes on land are painful. If you have knee pads and helmet use them.
I've had a couple answers to questions talk about reverse launching, or using brakes -- this requires a 4 line foil right? When I bought my trainer (Best), it and others in that general price range were 2 line kites. If I'm in a situation in the future where I suggest to someone they should invest in a trainer kite, should I also recommend a 4 line?

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:44 am

jjm wrote: I've had a couple answers to questions talk about reverse launching, or using brakes -- this requires a 4 line foil right? When I bought my trainer (Best), it and others in that general price range were 2 line kites. If I'm in a situation in the future where I suggest to someone they should invest in a trainer kite, should I also recommend a 4 line?
Josh,

As far as i know a four line foil is big bucks. Although i think i have seen some guy selling a china special on ebay and i can't vouch for that as i have not tried it. I would just tell them to do the same as you if they were looking to get into kiting. Either get a Best trainer or buy find a used trainer and save a few bucks.

Blair