Snowkiting this Saturday

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
davewsail
Regular
Regular
Snowkiting this Saturday

Post by davewsail » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:35 pm

Looks like some pretty strong w/sw win din Tahoe Saturday. Anyone up for hooking up for snowkiting? I've never tried it before so I'd prefer to go with someone who has. Also where's the best place for the forecasted wind direction? Red Lakes peak? Thanks in advance for the beta.
Team rider for Sheldon Kiteboarding and North

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:23 am

Saturday
Windy. Cloudy with a chance of snow. Highs 29 to 39. Southwest winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph. Ridge gusts up to 85 mph.

OK - Red Lakes Peak is a ridge. It is somewhere you go when the winds are light everywhere. You go on a day like Saturday if you want to get blown into Gardnerville...of course you prbably would figure that out half way up the hike.

SW is the standard direction and as it looks like it's a pretty decent forecast, if the coverage is decent you can go to just about any of the sites in south shore at lower elevations.

It does scare me a bit that people talk like this though. Snow kiting is fun and easy but if you make a bad weather/condition decision up there, things could be over for you quickly.

When you read 85mph gusts on the ridges...that should scare you! There will be some wicked gusts at the lower elevations with those type winds too so be prepared. It's standard Tahoe SW...just know it ain't Delta SW.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

davewsail
Regular
Regular

Post by davewsail » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:23 am

Gabe, thanks. I didn't read the 85mph on the ridges. Obviously no one in their right mind would launch a kite in that. Also since I'm not familiar with the "normal" Tahoe conditions is exactly why I want to meet up with someone who is.

Anyone know if there is coverage at grass lake? That would be my preferred location since I could do a bc run on waterhouse peak if the wind doesn't thrill me for snowkiting. I figured since grass lake is on the east side of the peak, the wind wouldn't make it there.

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:31 am

Dave,
Grass Lake and Hope Valley are lower elevation, so they get less snow and it melts quicker. I haven't been up to Tahoe yet, but if it hasn't been butt cold every day, the 3 ft. of snow they've gotten on the mountains might not still be around down low.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

davewsail
Regular
Regular

Post by davewsail » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:16 am

Paul, thanks. It has been very frigid and they are getting another 4-6" today/tonight so I'm hoping coverage is OK. I'll post the conditions when I get back tomorrow.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:26 am

I'm pretty sure Grass Lake would be a go and Waterhouse is a good back-up plan. Maybe stay away from the very middle of the lake if it looks like coverage is thin but it's a shallow lake so you're pretty safe...especially if you stay away from the obvious thin spots. Grass lake gets very little sun at this time of year so whatever snow has stuck will likely still be there. Just know that the winds often come and go at Grass lake so if it dies on you, wait a few minutes before you start your long hike back across the lake. You can often get back on puffs. It may take a while but even if you come in downwind and make it to the road. It's better than having to hike across the lake.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:55 pm

I just talked with Dave at TMS and he's up at Tahoe Meadows (aka Mt Rose) right now. He said the conditions are pretty good to snowkite and it should be good tomorrow. I'm trying to get some beta on tomorrow's wind forecast. Gabe... where did you find the forecast for Saturday?

Count me in for this weekend! I'm down to meet up and try for a session. Grass Lake could be good spot as well. Let try to finallize this tonight. :)

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:18 pm

85mph?? sweet.. my smallest kite is a 16m.. can someone give me a launch? :P
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

Fassn8
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fassn8 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:25 pm

How about places close to Truckee?

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:11 pm

I was up at Sugarbowl a month or so ago and some locals were telling me that people kite in the frozen lake/meadow in the valley next to Soda Springs.
It looks like a pretty big area.
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com