Snowkite Photos from last week

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
KillaHz
Resident
Resident
Snowkite Photos from last week

Post by KillaHz » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:58 am

Scott Berris took some photos of a few of the local crew up here in Tahoe. Mark Doyle has been living and kiting up here so he's in the gallery as well.

Check it out:

http://users.ca.astound.net/berris/wind_kite_surf.html
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:49 pm

He must be digging the snow! Brrr. Wouldn't he be able to pretty much go where he wanted that was warm to kite on water? Or are the realities different in that the pros have to pay their own way wherever they are?

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:31 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:He must be digging the snow! Brrr. Wouldn't he be able to pretty much go where he wanted that was warm to kite on water? Or are the realities different in that the pros have to pay their own way wherever they are?
It's really not that cold up here. If you noticed, we are not even really wearing jackets.

On another note...Doyle has been competing and consistently finishing top ten for the last 4 years. He's a bit over the contest scene and is looking for an aspect of the sport he can really push forward. Snowkiting is his opportunity to try and take this sport to the snowboarders out there. Mark really just wants to hit big kickers and throw down legit powered moves that snowboarders will drool over.

It is actually a lot of fun to build table tops and volcanoes and ride unhooked just using the kite to tow you into a virtual terrain park.

OK...enough, it's windy and my terrain park awaits.
Gabe Brown

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:56 pm

Gabe, thanks for the post of all the photos and it does look like you guys were pretty lightly dressed. What you said makes sense, I figured he was looking for a change, it's no surprise really that he (and others I'm sure) can get burned out on the contest scene. Most of us can only imagine the amount of riding he's done in the last years and the places he's gone to to ride. Once you've done that for some time, I bet it is nice to take on another aspect of the sport and turn it on its head with the kind of tricks he can throw down.

Thanks for the link! Have fun!

bhsu24
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bhsu24 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:06 am

I'm curious on getting into snowkiting, where in tahoe is the best place to get started?
Bryan

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:21 am

bhsu24 wrote:I'm curious on getting into snowkiting, where in tahoe is the best place to get started?
Read through the snowkite posts and you will find loads of info on spots.
Gabe Brown

TeleK

Are you heading out this weekend?

Post by TeleK » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:36 pm

Gabe...

I'd love to try some snowkiting this weekend...is anyone else planning to go? I've never tried kiting on snow, but I've got 7m and 12m inflatables and would love to try it out...

Also, where do you go for wind info in the S. Lake area?

Thanx

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Re: Are you heading out this weekend?

Post by KillaHz » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:39 pm

TeleK wrote:Gabe...

I'd love to try some snowkiting this weekend...is anyone else planning to go? I've never tried kiting on snow, but I've got 7m and 12m inflatables and would love to try it out...

Also, where do you go for wind info in the S. Lake area?

Thanx
Here are my weather resources for Tahoe:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecasts/CAZ07 ... Lake+Tahoe
This gives you the current Lake Tahoe/Reno conditions and forcast. You can scroll down to the bottom right and click on Mt. top sensors which will give you a good idea of what's going on up a bit higher.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?CAP
This is a real time caples lake (bottom of Kirkwood) wind meter. I find it usually under reads a little but gives an indication of wind strength and direction.

You don't need much wind to snowkite...so if you see anything it's usually worth going.
Gabe Brown

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:56 am

I am going this week from SF, Saturday and possible Sunday. Would be great if others can join, please email me!

TeleK

Post by TeleK » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:00 pm

Thanx Gabe for the 411...

And Eli...your e-mail isn't listed on your profile
...but mine is
kuwabara@berkeley.edu
...I'm down to go try weekend depending on the conditions...probably Sunday.