Where Is the best School?

Local weather resources and topics.
mondo33
Contributor
Contributor
Where Is the best School?

Post by mondo33 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:22 pm

The season is coming near and I was wondering which school, in your opinion, provides the best instruction. Also if you dont have a preferance just your experience with a particular school.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:16 am

first of all, i'm not sure if the season is coming near . . . yet. we've still got a solid 3 months of winter at least. as for schools? i would honestly recommend learning from a school that teaches at the place you plan on riding most. beyond that, i think this thread has been covered in the past, so if you search around in the archives, you'll find a lot of opinions on schools in the area.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

eag
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by eag » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:47 pm

boardsports in Alameda is good because gives you real beach experience, which I think is better than the jet ski launch. and they're nice.

you're 3 months away

mondo33
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mondo33 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:44 pm

no I know how far it is but that seems relatively close

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:34 pm

The season is coming near and I was wondering

I LOVE THAT! =D> New and full of life..
no I know how far it is but that seems relatively close

Not some jaded old sower-puss ](*,) , smells more true-blue stoke to me :yawinkle:

Mondo, I say- Rock the world!
Give snow kiting a shot this winter and set yourself up for spring @ Alameda on the water...
Get the jet-ski lesson stuff over then come on down to the shack for the real lesson.. (the lesson of life and how kites really work- all through trial and error).
Last spring and summer were really productive.. Lots of smiling new faces to play with...
Hope to see you around,
L.M.G.

Proparoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Proparoo » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:49 am

Edge Kiteboarding or Kitopia at Sherman Island.

Nice water (warmer than the bay)
Boat / ski support
Great steady wind

You will need to wait till May unless you go to La Vantana.

Look them up on line...

Both are great teachers and great folk, get you up in no time.
Remember to wait to buy your equipment till you can ride, as you will have a better idea of what you need.

Oh yah, get a trainer kite and learn to use it till then. Really important to know how to fly a kite well.

Just my $ .02 worth
Rich "ATOM" Baum

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:12 am

Sherman is indeed warmer, but the season gets underway later than on the Bay. We often start to get great wind on the Bay, sometimes huge wind, in March which is just a few months away now. NW clearing patterns at that time can often make for 6m, 7m, and 8m weather at Alameda and the coast. It can be a bit strong for lessons, but there are many lighter days also, so you can potentially get lessons 2-3 months before you can at Sherman.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:27 am

If you want a good practice without shedding a lot of dough, mountain boarding with a kite is a good practice. Much more accessible and cheaper than snowkiting. You can do it before / after work. Most skills transfer directly, especially kite control and handling power. Notice that it is probably the most risky of kite sports, so be prepared for a beat up and wear some hard plastic.

mondo33
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mondo33 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:39 pm

I already have been flying a trainer kite since the about november so im pretty good at it. I actually have flown a freindsninflatable but i wouldnt go on the water. thatnks for all the info guys.